Elyssa live dvd will not start boot process solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dave texas

Elyssa live dvd will not start boot process solved

Post by Dave texas »

My problem is sorta the same, except I can't look at the picture so I'm not sure. This is the first time I've had this problem.

I downloaded the Mint 5 KDE .iso, burned it to disk, and put it into my desktop machine. On boot, it progresses to the splash page with the blue thingee which goes back and forth; then fills in the double line progress bar, some starts, and then a crazed screen kind of like a herring-bone zipper pattern. I can dimly see some of the icons but they're doubled and in the wrong places; the screen doesn't respond to the mouse. That's where it stops until I do a hard shutdown. The same DVD booted to live Mint and then installed perfectly in my laptop.

Confusingly, the distros already installed on the desktop, including Mint 4, boot fine, and older CDs/DVDs boot fine to good screens.

The monitor is a Mag Innovision 800V 19'' CRT. The video card is Chrome9 HC IGP (Rev 01). My computer doctor said it looked to him like the monitor is being overdriven. He put his own monitor on, which shows diagnostic mesages. The messages show that his monitor is being driven at 32 khz/ 60hz on startup, but is being driven at 95khz/75hz when the screen goes bad. On older distros which yield good graphics, it goes as high as 75khz/60-70hz. He wondered if Mint 5 weren't maybe optimized for wide form factor flat screens.

I haven't been able to find any way of interrupting the boot sequence to check xorgconfig, etc, or to boot in safe mode.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Elyssa live dvd will not start boot process

Post by Husse »

I split this from the topic you added it too - you don't have the same but a similar problem and it gets hard for me to answer later on if it's entangled
You have an old graphics card....
or to boot in safe mode.
At the countdown just in the beginning press a key and then select Compatibility mode
There is a chance it will work

Re: Elyssa live dvd will not start boot process (SOLVED)

Post by Guest »

OK, thank you. Your suggestion worked and the live DVD booted to a normal desktop. I installed to HD and it seems to have rebooted uneventfully. Right now it's updating itself.

I had had a similar screen graphics problem trying to use the live CD of Omega; the screen didn't tear apart, but froze just as it loaded the login window. So what I need is a newer video card. Computer Doc can handle that :^).

Again, thanks for your help.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

It's spelled Linux, but it's pronounced `Not Windows'. It's spelled Windows, but it's pronounced `Aieeeeeeee!'

Return to “Installation & Boot”