Hard drive checks solved

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Hard drive checks solved

Post by keithp »

For the past week or so, almost every time I boot Mint, it pauses while it does a hard drive check. It doesn't show any error messages.

Does this mean that my IDE hard drive is going faulty, or is it something else? If it's the hard drive, I will replace it before it dies and I lose my Mint installation!

If the hard drive is OK, how can I stop these constant checks?

Many thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Keith
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Hard drive checks

Post by Husse »

How many partitions do you have?
It can simply be that your partitions have reached the number of mounts that forces a check at about the same time
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Hard drive checks

Post by keithp »

Husse

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, things have got worse.

The drive which my main Mint installation is on, has has started to "freeze". When it's been running for a bit, nothing works. <CTL><ALT><Backspace> does nothing, neither does <CTL><ALT><Delete>. I have to do a hard shutdown. When it starts again, it runs for a bit then freezes again.

I'm going to try to sort it out, tomorrow, when I'll check the partitions as you suggest.

Cheers

Keith
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Hard drive checks [Solved?]

Post by keithp »

I have solved the problem with my hard drive, but not in the way I would have liked!

I couldn't find what was causing it to freeze, (freezing every 10 minutes or so, didn't help), so I decided to reinstall.

Mint wouldn't install, giving me an error message that there wasn't enough room on the drive. It's a 250GB drive! So I had to use my XP installation disc to reformat the drive.

All is now well. the new Mint installation has worked for hours without problems, and there is no longer a drive check on booting.

I would rather have been able to find the cause. :(

Cheers

Keith

Return to “Hardware Support”