EeePC Networking

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
saltyp
Level 1
Level 1

EeePC Networking

Post by saltyp »

hey all,
just for fun we have installed Elyssa on a brand new Asus EeePc 901. Networking (wireless or wired) does not appear to function. I think both are Atheros. We will dig deeper as the day goes by..
has any one else dabbled here yet. It runs EXTREMELY well. Would like to resolve the issue.

Not sure if the kernel can see the device or not.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
if it aint broken....dont let me near it
msuggs

Re: EeePC Networking

Post by msuggs »

Read the wireless section of this page for Ubuntu 8.0.4.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC/Fixes

Sounds like it may be easier to try the RC1 of Felicia on it and follow the instructions for Intrepid.

:)
saltyp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saltyp »

Cheers omns!
That link has sorted the LAN problem. (Complete power down for anyone interested) Thank whoever you worship for our community. I'm posting from the Eee right now. Will tackle the Atheros WLAN now. I will try NDIS wrapper. Have had a great deal of success in the past. Will post back with results.

Thanx again.
saltyp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saltyp »

Well I am posting via my wireless connection. NDIS Wrapper did the trick and all is fantastically cable free.
One change to the cook book- the step "sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils1.9" is not required (for Elyssa at least) as the modules are present on clean install (well done team) and from memory they are in Daryna as well??

So now I can get to the task of making this little bugger sing!
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

saltyp wrote:So now I can get to the task of making this little bugger sing!
Sweet :)
saltyp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saltyp »

lmfao,
well it would appear that ndiswrapper is causing system hang on shutdown. Will try shutdown from console "sudo shutdown now -h"
Have encountered this before and I know there is a work around.
Desktop effects enabled without drama. Setup is as follows and response is pretty good.
4GB solid (sda)
3 GB /
1 GB Swap
16 GB flash (sdb)
/home
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

saltyp wrote:lmfao,
well it would appear that ndiswrapper is causing system hang on shutdown. Will try shutdown from console "sudo shutdown now -h"
Have encountered this before and I know there is a work around.
Desktop effects enabled without drama. Setup is as follows and response is pretty good.
4GB solid (sda)
3 GB /
1 GB Swap
16 GB flash (sdb)
/home
FWIW,

I heard on a podcast (Linux Cranks I believe) that there are reports that you should not create a swap partition on a SD card. Some are reporting that because of the constant read & writes that this will damage the card. The podcast mentioned that a swap partition on Netbook PC's was not necessary due to the actual purpose of being a lightweight & portable device for lightweight applications.
saltyp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saltyp »

Kwisher, Swap is on the solid drive, and yes I agree- dont point your swap to the sd.
But an update.
Mint 5 runs a treat on the EeePC. Mine is a celeron 900Mhz. Response is fantastic and wireless works a treat using NM and ndiswrapper. I have had none of the reported wireless dropouts. I have used both the command line ndis setup and the gtkndis setup on seperate machines. Special "hazzahh" to omns for his/her rapid response to my original post for help.

The power down issue is an ACPI one. Once sorted I will post with a resoloution.

Husse/Clem...close this one.

Return to “Hardware Support”