Desktop broken in Felicia (and Elyssa) by ATK

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
morrows_end

Desktop broken in Felicia (and Elyssa) by ATK

Post by morrows_end »

I switched to Felicia since Elyssa couldn't easily use my graphics card. ON both versions this error has occurred when I attempt to install GTK+ While installing everything, I run into errors. This has happened several times and i have to reinstall the OS to fix the problem.

I tracked it down to occurring after I install ATK. everything is fine until then. Once I install ATK and reboot, I get these popup errors when I attempt to open Computer or Network:

Code: Select all

Nautilus cannot handle Network: locations
Could not display [b]Computer:///[/b] There is no application installed for this type
Below is a step by step installation I did and the results of each step:

1.)Installed "gettext" from package manager (no change in computer function)
2) Installed GLIB (killed all my desktop icons)
3.)Installed CAIRO graphics "libcairo2-dev" from package manager (Restores desktop icons, still works fine)
4.)Installed PANGO (still works fine)
5.)Install ATK (Version 1.21) (Takes a while to load the Desktop on reboot, and I'm getting the Nautilus errors, and after reboot the screen resolution is messed up)
At this point I get

Nautilus cannot handle Computer: locations
6.)Uninstall reboot and reinstall ATK and reboot (screen resolution is back, but now error messages are:

Could not display [b]Computer:///[/b] There is no application installed for this type
7.)Install GTK+ without some stuff for speed, "./configure --without-libtiff --without-libjasper --without-libjpeg" (login screen resolution is messed up, Desktop takes a while to load, and the icons and menu bars are all different, and I still get the Network and Computer errors.)

Also, I downloaded those other libraries (libtiff-dev and libjasper-dev ) and tried it again to no avail, nothing changed.

I'm using all the latest version of all the software. If I am doing this wrong please let me know. I'm known to do things the hard way for no reason.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
--morrows_end
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Desktop broken in Felicia (and Elyssa) by ATK

Post by Husse »

I know I have answered questions about such error messages, but I don't find the posts and I don't remember the solutions at all :(

Return to “Software & Applications”