Need slow burn speed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Need slow burn speed

Post by solar1951 »

OK, here is a really stoopid question.
I like to burn iso,s at around 4x but K3b and nautilus wont allow me to change the speed from either "auto" or 12x or 16x.
How do I set the burn speed lower ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Need slow burn speed

Post by Husse »

Brasero
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

Husse wrote:Brasero
I had to dump Brasero as it always crashed when converting mp3 files to wav to burn to audio CD. Tried all versions up to 0.82, current stable.
This is not really an option.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

solar1951

It may be your burner which is the problem.

I have a Lite-On; it ignores the burning speed I have set and insists on burning at least 14x.

I've tried it with five burning programs, three Linux and two XP ones. None of them will make it burn at the speed I want.

There is the occasional 'coaster' it produces, but any iso's I burn with it, will only play back on that drive and not on my CD/DVD read only drive. It's very noisy as well.

Thinking of getting a new, better behaved, burner!

Keith
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

keithp wrote:solar1951

It may be your burner which is the problem.

I have a Lite-On; it ignores the burning speed I have set and insists on burning at least 14x.

I've tried it with five burning programs, three Linux and two XP ones. None of them will make it burn at the speed I want.

There is the occasional 'coaster' it produces, but any iso's I burn with it, will only play back on that drive and not on my CD/DVD read only drive. It's very noisy as well.

Thinking of getting a new, better behaved, burner!

Keith
The burner is fine Keith, and I could select burn speed with Brasero but see above why I dont want to re-install.
Actually the iso's I have burnt at 12X and 16X have worked OK, but I think that you should have the flexibility within k3b and nautilus burn - right click option on iso files - to choose a speed at which to burn, after all speed isn't everything unless you are Jeremy Clarkson !
Maybe I will try Brasero again if I upgrade from Elysia to Felicia and see if it works for converting mp3 to audio CD.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Jerry_N
Some people (like you) get lucky, but not all. The recommendation to burn slow is a general recommendation to avoid problems - perhaps a study of ECC and CD/DVD can clarify this a bit

Return to “Beginner Questions”