Startup/Shutdown sounds

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rojodojo19

Startup/Shutdown sounds

Post by rojodojo19 »

Hi,
I've looked long and helplessly for a way to turn off the startup and shutdown sound in Linux Mint Fluxbox. I can't seem to find a sound configuration menu anywhere.
Can anyone help me turn them off?
Thx in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
satellite360

Re: Startup/Shutdown sounds

Post by satellite360 »

rojodojo19 wrote:Hi,
I've looked long and helplessly for a way to turn off the startup and shutdown sound in Linux Mint Fluxbox. I can't seem to find a sound configuration menu anywhere.
Can anyone help me turn them off?
Thx in advance
These are defined in your ~/.fluxbox/startup file but are in an area which you should be careful tinkering with. If you simply comment out the startup sound, for example, X will fail to restart. I guess you could try replacing the sound file with an alternative. Like I said though, be prepared for things to break! Hopefully someone else can be more helpful.
jbb

Post by jbb »

If you read the documentation on http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_felicia_fl ... atsnew.php you will see this:
Configuration options for Mint-FM2 are stored in the file ~/.mint-fm2/mint-fm2.conf. Here you can manually configure whether menu icons are enabled/disabled, the icon theme to be used for the menu and login/logout sounds to be used.
tawan

Post by tawan »

as per the wiki

open Home

Press CTRL+H to show hidden files

open .mint-fm2

open mint-fm2.conf

see how there are lines such as Login: /usr/share/sounds/mintfb-login.wav

you can carefully edit these lines or replace the sound /usr/share/sounds/mintfb-login.wav with a new sound of the same name

disable

Comment out these lines with a '#' or delete them completely
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Yes, that is the way to disable the sounds... sorry I didn't mention that explicitly in the wiki. I have just added that.
jbaldwin

Post by jbaldwin »

so i found the login.wav but when trying to replace it with a wav i prefer i get the following error message"You don't have the right permissions to extract archives in the folder "file:///usr/share/sounds"
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Hi and welcome to our forums!

The proper way to change the login and logout sounds is described in the wiki. If there is a '#' at the start of the line for Login or Logout, remove it.

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... figuration

P.S. in case you don't know, ~/.mint-fm2 is a hidden folder in your home directory. Open the file browser (Thunar) and hit Ctrl+H to show hidden directories.
fluxalex

Post by fluxalex »

I have exactly the opposite problem since there are no sounds at all. I went to see the mint-fm2.conf file and the lines were commented. I've never touched that i.e. it was installed this way. But now that I've removed the '#', there is still no login/logout sounds. I have here "ekiga" and "banshee" running with no sound problems. So I'm also wondering if this could be related to my still unresolved "logout/login" problems, since it has been stated that
If you simply comment out the startup sound, for example, X will fail to restart.
So what can I do about that, besides removing the '#'...
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

@fluxalex

The default login/logout sounds have been changed since the old release. Replace the settings in mint-fm2.conf with this:

Code: Select all

Login: /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-login.wav

Logout: /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-logout.wav
Or alternatively you can put the full path to your preferred sounds. Supported formats are voc, wav, raw or au.

If this does not work, try running this command

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mint-fm2/sound login
That should give you the login sound. If that doesn't work, post back here.
fluxalex

Post by fluxalex »

I've changed the paths and when logging out there is some sound although it seems not to be played completely but cut in the middle. Executing the command plays the sound perfectly, but logging in, there is still no sound at all.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

My bad... I forgot to mention that you should add that command to the Fluxbox startup file with the other apps that are started at login. Read the file and you will see the section where you can add it. The Fluxbox startup is ~/.fluxbox/startup. Add the command where you feel like in that section and add a '&' at the end of it... like the other commands in that section.
fluxalex

Post by fluxalex »

What is the mintwelcome-launcher doing? I've added the command before this, but I guess the sound is supposed to be part of the "welcome message".
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

mintwelcome-launcher runs the dialog box that shows up immediately after you install the distro, and it has nothing to do with system sounds.
fluxalex

Post by fluxalex »

Ohh I remember now :wink: Now I have the "login/logout" sounds working, but it is still that with the "vesa" driver I cannot login after logout, i.e I have to reboot in order to be able to login again. It simply hangs, but after having played the login sound which is the last command in "startup", besides "wbar" and "fusesmb" which I'm running privately :wink:
d00med

Post by d00med »

The default login sound is now /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/desktop-login.ogg
daktari81

Post by daktari81 »

For anyone who is trying to flat disable Linux Mint 10's startup sound, uncheck GNOME Login Sound under Startup Applications in the Control Center on the left side of the Menu popup at the bottom left hand corner of the screen. This is in plain newbie language for anyone who needs the breakdown. :roll: lol

Return to “Software & Applications”