conky @ startup?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rita G.
Level 2
Level 2

conky @ startup?

Post by Rita G. »

conky does not launch from terminal:

rp@M1 ~ $ conky

Conky: missing text block in configuration; exiting

rp@M1 ~ $

will not launch from alt+f2 either.

but will launch from root terminal!

anyone know how to make it launch automatically at startup?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: conky @ startup?

Post by msuggs »

You have an error in the .conyrc config file in your home directory that is preventing it loading as a normal user. As root you are using the default config file so it starts ok. Open the default config file found at /etc/conky/conky.conf and then save it in your home directory as .conkyrc.

Once that is working okay you can make make conky start by adding it to the sessions manager. Preferences-->Sessions
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

There are lots of different ways to configure conky. A good starting point are the example config files on the conky site itself.

http://conky.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html
Rita G.
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rita G. »

omns wrote:Open the default config file found at /etc/conky/conky.conf and then save it in your home directory as .conkyrc.
can someone explain this a little more clearly,

i just spent about an hour trying this & getting nowhere.

thanks
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Rita G. wrote:
omns wrote: can someone explain this a little more clearly
Sure :)

Open your Home Direcotory. Click on File Systems-->etc-->conky then double click on the file called conky.conf.

After this opens go to the file menu and choose Save as.

Save the file in your Home directory and rename it as .conkyrc (the dot before the name makes it a hidden config file). You will be asked if you want to replace the existing file. Do it. Close the File. (To see hidden files in your home directory go to View-->Show Hidden Files)

Now try conky again and it should be working :)

To add it to the Session Manger go the Mint Menu then Preferences-->Sessions

In the Control Panel that opens click on the 'Add' button. In the name field you can put whatever you want (like Conky) and in the command field just enter conky (all lowercase). Next time you log in conky should automatically start.

Once you have this all working it is possible to make conky look different and work in different ways. The examples on the website I gave you before give you some examples and I'm sure there are lots more out there with some searching. To change things just open the .conkyrc file in your home directory and edit to your liking.

Between this and Sputty's explanation you should get things up and running. Good luck with it :)
Rita G.
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rita G. »

can't seem to find this “home directory”.

have a “home” folder.

is that what you mean?
Rita G.
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rita G. »

ok, got it now.

had to use gedit /etc/conky/conky.conf as root.

....and put it in startup....works nicely.

thank you all for help!
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Rita G. wrote:can't seem to find this “home directory”.

have a “home” folder.

is that what you mean?
Yes, your Home folder is what I mean. You shouldn't really be using these types of programs as root. If you mess up the default settings in root then it will be difficult to fix. Try again to save the .conkyrc config file to your home folder then add conky to your session manager as a normal user.
Rita G.
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rita G. »

sorry..........was running a little late this morning.

what i meant was,

had to access /etc/conky/conky.conf as root in order to make changes; it was giving me some permissions problem.

and “put it in startup” meant i added conky to startup programs in sessions.

thanks again.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

ok, glad all is well :D

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”