KDE Synaptic

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Steve Payne

KDE Synaptic

Post by Steve Payne »

I'm using Mint KDE for the first time (been a Minty customer since Daryna). I've decided that I really like KDE but I really hate Adept. Looking at Adept, it says that Synaptic is installed, but after searching and searching, I have absolutely no idea where Synaptic is hiding its precious self.

First off -- does Synaptic behave well in the KDE environment? If so, where is it located if Adept says it is installed.

Sorry for such a newb question from a fairly experienced Mint user, but I'm at a loss finding Synaptic :x

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: KDE Synaptic

Post by MALsPa »

Do these commands help?

$ dpkg --get-selections | grep synaptic
synaptic install
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics install
$ locate synaptic
/home/steve/.synaptic
/root/.synaptic
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so
/usr/sbin/se_synaptic
/usr/sbin/synaptic
... (etc.)
Steve Payne

Post by Steve Payne »

I'll run the commands when I get home & let you know -- thanks for the tip!
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Oh and also I use KDE a lot and Synaptic works fine.
meandean

Post by meandean »

synaptic should be fine in KDE
another command to find out if it is installed along with other info is
apt-cache policy synaptic
Steve Payne

Post by Steve Payne »

Thanks to everyone who helped -- I found it, got it working, and it works like a charm.

Not to sound sappy, but that's just another added bonus about Mint -- the forum members are awesome! If you could put a price tag on Mint, it would put MicroSux out of business!
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

MALsPa wrote:Do these commands help?

synaptic install
$ locate synaptic
/home/steve/.synaptic
/root/.synaptic
/usr/sbin/se_synaptic
/usr/sbin/synaptic
... (etc.)
works but no privileges to change anything
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

xnostradamusx wrote:

synaptic install
$ locate synaptic
/home/steve/.synaptic
/root/.synaptic
/usr/sbin/se_synaptic
/usr/sbin/synaptic
... (etc.)

No privileges to change anything, but the OP didn't ask about changing anything.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

MALsPa wrote:
xnostradamusx wrote:

synaptic install
$ locate synaptic
/home/steve/.synaptic
/root/.synaptic
/usr/sbin/se_synaptic
/usr/sbin/synaptic
... (etc.)

No privileges to change anything, but the OP didn't ask about changing anything.

i mean i want sypnatic to be my default installer
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

xnostradamusx wrote:

Oh. Not sure how Synaptic gets set up in Mint KDE, but it sounds like you're running it as a normal user. You might want to check to see what command is being run when you click on that icon. It should be something like kdesu synaptic so that it asks for a password to give you administrative rights.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

MALsPa wrote:
xnostradamusx wrote:

Oh. Not sure how Synaptic gets set up in Mint KDE, but it sounds like you're running it as a normal user. You might want to check to see what command is being run when you click on that icon. It should be something like kdesu synaptic so that it asks for a password to give you administrative rights.
k i fixed it i just added sudo first in opening sypnatic by console sweet :D
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

Synaptic is already installed by default its just its not visible in the menus. You can open up a shell & type sudo synaptic to run it or you can add an icon somewhere to make running it more convenient. Or what I do cos I'm lazy is open a shell & type sudo apt-get install synaptic this will reinstall it & put an icon in the system menu for you.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

roadrash wrote:Synaptic is already installed by default its just its not visible in the menus. You can open up a shell & type sudo synaptic to run it or you can add an icon somewhere to make running it more convenient. Or what I do cos I'm lazy is open a shell & type sudo apt-get install synaptic this will reinstall it & put an icon in the system menu for you.
I, too, am annoyed that it does not appear in the menu by default. I am also tired of having to go to the command line each time I want to run it. I followed your advice but it just says "synaptic is already the latest version" :? Can I run it with a force command or something, or surely there must be a way to just add it to the menu by right clicking the menu somewhere?

I think synaptic is so much better than adept, i am not sure why adept is the default.

RJ
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

arjay wrote:
roadrash wrote:Synaptic is already installed by default its just its not visible in the menus. You can open up a shell & type sudo synaptic to run it or you can add an icon somewhere to make running it more convenient. Or what I do cos I'm lazy is open a shell & type sudo apt-get install synaptic this will reinstall it & put an icon in the system menu for you.
I, too, am annoyed that it does not appear in the menu by default. I am also tired of having to go to the command line each time I want to run it. I followed your advice but it just says "synaptic is already the latest version" :? Can I run it with a force command or something, or surely there must be a way to just add it to the menu by right clicking the menu somewhere?

I think synaptic is so much better than adept, i am not sure why adept is the default.

RJ

You should be able to add it, right? Sorry, I use KDE in Elyssa, but not Mint KDE CE, so I'm not sure what things look like there; but usually you can just use the KDE Menu Editor to add items.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Use the command kdesudo synaptic when editing the menu. This will start it without the use of a terminal.

You should also be able to start it by typing alt-f2 then kdesudo synaptic in the 'Run Command' panel that appears.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

I wanted synaptic as an alternative to adept as well. I tried adding it to the menu (right click on System, Edit submenu, then add synaptic). But, as another poster has said, this only gives you synaptic without admin privileegs or a request for your password. Fat lot of good that is!

If you try to just install synaptic by sudo apt-get install synaptic, it just says "Already newest version". Not much good either.

This is how I did it:

1. Uninstall synaptic using sudo apt-get remove synaptic
2. Re-install using apt-get install synaptic.

This adds a proper version to the system menu.

Hope it helps someone.

RJ
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

arjay wrote:1. Uninstall synaptic using sudo apt-get remove synaptic
2. Re-install using apt-get install synaptic.
This is not a new/proper version of synaptic but rather you have reconfigured it for your system which added the menu entry. In this case this should do the same job.

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure synaptic
RJ, you should also still be asked for your password on launching Synaptic. That's how it works. That is unless you have already used sudo privileges within the last 15 minutes, then your system will remember the password and not ask you for it.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Imns

Thanks for the correct terminology. Also, yes, of course, I am still asked for the PW.
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

Sorry got it wrong earlier. I remember when i do it I simply open a terminal just once and run synaptic (sudo synaptic) then from within synaptic I do a search for synaptic, then right click on it & select mark for reinstallation, & Apply.
This will add the icon to the menu.

Return to “Software & Applications”