Mint Home Server

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint Home Server

Post by lakehousetech »

I've heard a few people mention this in the past, and I have to agree that it is a good idea for the future. I can understand where Mint really is geared towards the casual user at the moment, but I would love the opportunity to have a server option available. I have to build a server at work soon, and might take a stab at installing the required items to get a LAMP up and running from Elyssa. Otherwise I might go for Ubuntu server, Debian, or CentOS as alternatives.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

I have got a Compaq Proliant ML350 G1 box sat doing nothing at work. Was also thinking of making it a file server for my house and putting either Ubuntu Server or Clarkeconnect on it, but Mint server would be an even better idea.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

How hard do you think it would be to set up Elyssa as a small business server? I'm not an IT guy (engineer) so I figured someone might have a clearer idea of how to go about doing it. Once I get my test machine to my new apartment I'll give it a shot, but it's gonna be a couple weeks.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Wouldn't know where to start, in the past I have run my own web server at home using Apache and serving basic pages on generic server gear like Intel dual processor motherboards with server chip sets. But software wise I have never setup a LAMP server.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

We should see if a mod will sticky this thread (Husse). I'd like to give it a try soon and post setup information and results. My main needs for this particular small business server are:

* LAMP - Needed for Document management system (Knowledge Tree or similar), SQL database, and other services.
* File Access - for computers running Windows XP internally and distance via VPN or similar setup.
* Software RAID - if possible (doing this on the cheap!)

I'm sure I'll think of more things, but this is a good start. Will post back soon. Let me know if your interested in helping out.

Chris
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I'm going to work on this as soon as I get situated in my new apartment. BTW I think your website and photos are pretty cool. Nice interface and the black really helps bring the photos out. Did you design the website yourself, or go another route (template or web designer)?
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

@ Oceanwatcher. I finally got back home to pick up my test machine, so I hope to perform my own server configuration within the next week. I will post as I make progress. How have you made out in regards to the admin GUI?
bbardon

Post by bbardon »

Oceanwatcher wrote:I am searching for various GUI for administrating a Linux server.
Are you familiar with Webmin? It's a web-based server admin interface, can do almost anything you need to do on a server. There are many plugin modules for Webmin so if it's not in the basic install it can be added right from the Webmin interface.

http://www.webmin.com/index.html

Regarding the remote control, just leave X off the server. Use SSH for command line access and Webmin for remote admin. VNC is great, but it's unsecure across public networks unless you tunnel it through SSH or a VPN.

I know this is the Mint forum, but the *buntu Server Edition has preconfigured package selections that make it dead easy to install a LAMP server. I'm relatively new to Mint, but most of its features are geared toward desktop ease of use, are they not? A server doesn't need a GUI anyway so Mint has little advantage here over Debian or *buntu.
whitemice

Post by whitemice »

Oceanwatcher wrote: Some kind of calendar server is needed. Our family need a way to manage our time and let others see what we have planned. There has to be clients for both Linux and Windows. Good suggestion in this area - calendar programs - will be highly appreciated. I am aware of the Mozilla products. We all use Firefox and Thunderbird today. But I like having one main function for each program, so I am looking for a feature rich client that is very actively developed. OpenGroupware.org might be something to run?
If you need any assistance installing/configuring OpenGroupware please post on our lists. CalDAV support of trunk has been tested with Lightning 0.8
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I've begun my installation and configuration of Linux Mint server in a business environment. So far it has gone off without any trouble. Absolutely smooth. Up to this point I have the following up and running:

LAMP (easy via Knowledge Tree DMS installation)

I now have to make sure that SSH is disabled, as well as block unused ports via iptable. I'm also going to setup a mail server and linkage with a the company website, which will hopefully be based on joomla. I'm going to publish all of the information in a single document once I am successfully live. I'm considering creating a new thread since this particular setup is focused on a business environment. Any thoughts? I'll post back soon.
AfterEight

Post by AfterEight »

Hi Guys,

Just read though this topic.
I have a couple of PC's on my home network, mine is the wonderful Linux Mint 5 KDE, the kids have *buntu ? something or other ( it was me that set it up too :oops: )
I have also been thinking about a file server. That is, after a conversation I had with the IT guy at work.
The idea of a Linux Mint interface would be real helpful for me too.

Can I ask how you are getting on ?
How soon do you think that this will be ready for us 'none command line' / 'none tech savvy' newbies out here ?
Don't wish to sound too pushy, but a good set of join-the-dots instructions would also be a really good idea.

PS If it would help, I don't mind testing it out for you. Just let me know and I will see about picking up an oldish PC to use from somewhere.

While I am here, I would like to thank everyone at Linux Mint for the sterling job they have done.
I don't miss windoz at all since first trying Mint earlier in June. Two big thumbs up from me.
( Still can't get over the fact that EVERY piece of software on this PC is FREE !! Two more thumbs up for the whole Linux / Open Source community )

AfterEight
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I have completed the installation at work, and now we are almost ready to go live (internet wise) once we get a static IP. I'm writing the entire project up because it entails much more than installing knowledge tree. I'm hoping to post some information next week. I have to use it for my thesis as well, so hopefully I'll do a decent job writing it.
AfterEight

Post by AfterEight »

Hi Lakehousetech,

Thanks for the quick reply and good luck with your thesis.

AfterEight
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Thanks. The thesis is on COTS information management systems and sharing, so knowledge tree will be a small portion of it. I'm going to begin documenting the KT project tonight when I get out of work. I hope to post back soon.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

That all depends on what your really looking for in document management. I chose Knowledge Tree specifically for my company document system because it's open source, scalable, and relatively easy to administer. I'll keep you posted either way. I suppose you could just use Samba if you want to set up shared directories with Windows machines.

Also, I am about ready to move my website over to a complete joomla base. I really liked how yours came out, and think the content features will be perfect. I'm doing my upload when I get out of work. I can't wait...it's gonna be so much fun! I'll be in touch.

Chris
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I agree for the same reasons. The folks I work with are not computer savvy, but if/when I move on to take a better job I want them to be able to administer the server easily without much of a learning curve. We've had our mint server active for over a month now with no problems. Eventually we will go for a more lightweight version of Mint (fluxbox...etc) when it comes time to upgrade knowledge tree again. The performance is good now, and should improve upon upgrade.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I don't have the server set up for remote access yet, as we are still waiting for the okay to use it permanently. I am using a KVM switch for now to go between the server and my workstation. I'm sticking with PHPmyAdmin personally, as it's all I've ever used. Not sure what else is available....
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I don't think that it's difficult to use Mint as a server right now, whether for home or business. I know I really need to post my walkthrough from my installation...I have just been so backed up finishing grad school. I don't even have my website back up yet. Still finishing up the graphics. The only thing I would like to see is a lightweight 64 bit version of Mint to be released. I think the performance increase would be significant on the server I built at work as compared to the main edition.
ElQuia

Post by ElQuia »

Oceanwatcher et al: you guys are a bit to technical for me :D

As a end user I would LOVE the idea of home server like that. @home there are 4 pc's and 2 notebooks, each one with music, films, etc going on, and a LOT of duplicated multimedia files ...and of course the usual complaints about having to leave a pc on to be able to share, bla, bla....

For me it would be nice if: it were headless, had soft raid (I´m looking for something cheap), it HAS to interact with Linux and W!nd@ws clients, and must be absolutely reliable....

I Love :P the idea :idea: :!: :idea: :!:
ElQuia

Post by ElQuia »

Oceanwatcher: hey :!:, technical jargon doesn't bother me, as a linux noob, I gota learn 8) ...

Just remember something: If you roam to far away from what most people use every day they won't use it, and for a server like this, (supposing one of its focus was a home server) that is:

Mail & Calendar: M$ Outlook or Windows Mail or OExpress, and Evolution or Thunderbird (w/sunbird or lightning) [in my case it´s Outlook 2007 (on the vista pc's) and Evolution (on the Mint pc´s) ]
Music: itunes, JRiver Media Jukebox & JRiver Media Center, foobar. Not using any music progie on Mint. Havn't found anything as powerful as JRiver yet.
Pics: a lot of programs - Movies: a lot of programs,

Essential PIM I understand imports and exports easily from outlook, don't know about evolution... music, movies and pics, are just files, to share, it would be nice to have some kind of database proggie that could be accessed from clientes showing whats on the server, kind of "library" program o "classification" program ...

Any way, I love the idea .. If you guys come up with something, I can beta :shock: (or alpha) test :twisted: Just have to know what minimum hardware specs we are targeting ....

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”