Setting Static IP in Felicia?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old Marcus

Setting Static IP in Felicia?

Post by Old Marcus »

This seems to be a bug with NetworkManager 0.7, but anyway. Having set configuration from DHCP to manual I enter my IP address, Netmask and Gateway address:

192.168.1.47 - My Computer
192.168.1.1 - Router
255.255.255.0 - Gateway

These settings worked on Elyssa, using an older version of Network Manager. I may have mixed something up but after reboot, I can't connect to anything and the Netmask field in configuration has changed to a number such as 24. I look in ifconfig and My IP addr is fine, but Bcast and Mask are screwed. Any help? Should I roll back a version of Network Manager or is there a solution to this?

I posted in Software and Applications because this is a software problem more than a network problem. Currently on DHCP, so can connect.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Setting Static IP in Felicia?

Post by merlwiz79 »

You could try making a new connection and just select it with the left click.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

I have, but the netmask setting keeps resetting to a different number each time.

EDIT: Screenshot:
I put in my net mask, and it changes to this. Annoying, And I think this is the problem.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Regards, Trygve wrote:This is not a bug.

Ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netmask

The 24 means it is a 24 bit subnetwork, which is just another way of saying 255.255.255.0.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/269910
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Cheers, but I still can't connect. I guess this has turned into a network problem I guess. would it be possible for a mod to move this to the network forum?
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Solved: I set the DNS Server wrong, I set it to my IP address, instead of the router's Ip address. Thanks for your help anyway merlwiz. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”