Toshiba Satellite won't boot xorg

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lenwftm

Toshiba Satellite won't boot xorg

Post by lenwftm »

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1805-S203 laptop, which has a Trident Cyberblade video card. The live disc boot goes all the way to the point of launching the desktop, then freezes with a blank screen. Searching the forums this seems to be a problem with xorg.conf. Puppy Linux 4.0 and opensuse work (Puppy Linux 3.4 didn't, 2.14 did!). Ubuntu doesn't, but there may be a solution in the alternative boot iso.

Is there any way I can insert the xorg.conf files from either Puppy or Opensuse into the boot process to bypass the video probing?? I would really like to try Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Toshiba Satellite won't boot xorg

Post by Husse »

I have worked professionally with computer hardware between 1998 and 2005 and I must confess that I have never even heard of this graphics card.
It is an old one...
Did you try Compatibility mode? Press any key during count down when the CD starts
Then there's the troubleshooter
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
lenwftm

Re: Toshiba Satellite won't boot xorg

Post by lenwftm »

The video card is "Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1". As I said, it gives problems with many distro's. In a previous version of "Puppy" I pressed cntrl-z at the last moment which brought up the command line, then edited the xorg.conf to make it work. I was hoping I could do something like that with mint. Ubuntu 6.06 worked ok also, but there must have been some revision at that time which made the later editions not work.

Return to “Installation & Boot”