Sunbird is Broken - SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KLVVdarcey
Level 1
Level 1

Sunbird is Broken - SOLVED

Post by KLVVdarcey »

I just installed Mint 5 -KDE and installed Sunbird Calendar. Every time I try to launch Sunbird, nothing happens. Just the jumping icon dance. This has happened on two different machines, both with a fresh install.

Sunbird worked fine in Mint 4 - KDE. Something must have broken.

Darcey
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: Sunbird is Broken

Post by rivenought »

First of all, welcome to the forum.
Do you think that the Lightning extension in Thunderbird may be conflicting? That is the first thing I thought of. With Lightning already pre-installed in Mint, I have not manually installed Sunbird recently. I am running GNOME these days so I cannot verify a broken package on my end. Good luck, and please post back with further info you may uncover..
KLVVdarcey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KLVVdarcey »

Thank you.

I disabled the Lighting app inside of Thunderbird as you suggested, and tried Sunbird again. I still just get the jumping icon, but no Sunbird. I think something with Mint 5 - KDE doesn't agree with Sunbird.

Thank you for your help.
:D
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

The only other ideas I have are:

You could reinstall the Sunbird application, though this may not do much since this happens on two different machines.

You could check in Synaptic, right-clicking on the Sunbird package to see if in the properties there might possibly be a previous version available.

As well, if you run the Sunbird application from the terminal, there may be some messages listed. That might help in focusing further research. Those messages can then be used in Googling up to see if others have similar issues.

Not sure if any of this will stick to the wall, but I am throwing it out just in case. Perhaps someone else who uses KDE and Sunbird might add to this thread. Good luck.
KLVVdarcey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KLVVdarcey »

I un-installed and then re-installed Sunbird with no success. I then tried to open Sunbird in a terminal and got the following error message:

"/usr/lib/sunbird/sunbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Then I went back and checked the dependancies and found that I had "libstdc++6" instead. Does that matter?

Thank you for your support!

Darcey
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Yep, it looks like an updated package is causing the problem. At least you narrowed down the problem, it seems. So, if you could roll back to libstdc++.so.5, all might be good. Detective work is fun, eh?
KLVVdarcey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KLVVdarcey »

I installed libstdc++5 and all is well. Sunbird is happy and works perfectly.

THANK YOU for all your help. The case is solved!

Darcey
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I am very glad Sunbird is now working properly. Each small glitch is an opportunity to learn something new about Linux in general and Mint in particular. You may also wish to mark this thread as "Solved" by editing your original post. Once again, welcome to the forum, and please continue to share you experiences with us.

Return to “Software & Applications”