Getting Linix Mint to work on a MacBook

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miket

Re: Getting Linix Mint to work on a MacBook

Post by miket »

Hi,

Do you have OS X on this machine as well ?
If so, then there is a special procedure you need to perform to make the two co-exist.
If you search on Google or the Ubuntu forums you will find it quite easily.

Mike.
kragof wrote:Hello this is my first time using any sort of Ubuntu. I am trying Linux Mint first because a friend recommended it to me. I am putting it on my MacBook. Here are the steps i've taken so far and i need help getting the rest to work. Please bare with my technical terms, i have no idea what them mean. I made a partition using Disk Utilities. I downloaded Linix Mint and burned it to a blank disk. When i run run the disk, it logs onto a "live preview session"-i think thats what its called- anyways then i double clicked on the install icon and its started to run fine. My friend helped me make sure i was using the right partition and got the "swap area" for free space. Then i hit install and it gets to about 90% and then an error pops up. Error: Executing 'grub-install (hd0)' failed. This is a fatal error. Then it fails and quits the download. So how do i fix this problem? Any help would be really helpful and i appreciate the effort.

Please correct me if anything i've said is wrong. As i stated above, this is the first time i've used this and not sure of anything.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !
kragof wrote:Well yes i do have OS X.

And i have looked on google and i tried the ubuntu forums, and they told me to try this forum.

So any help you can provide will be really nice and i would REALLY appreciate it.
I did a simple google search and there a loads of references.
One that seems to be exactly what you want is this one : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=452262

The search I used on google was: macbook os x ubuntu how to

Mike.
miket

Post by miket »

Hello ...
kragof wrote:I checked into that site you linked, but its not quite what i was looking for. Thanks for trying man, but i am looking for a way to get Linux Mint working on it not Ubuntu Feisty (or whatever that guy wanted). I can run the live cs session of Linux Mint 5, but during installation it fails at 94% with the error message: Executing 'grub-install (hd0) - failed' Fatal Error. And then the install crashes or something. And i can't get it any further. I'm still open to any help i can get with my problem.
Well what do you think Linux Mint is ?
Mint is based on Ubuntu, the procedure is exactly the same for the two !!
It works perfectly here for me .... I think you need to do some more reading and understand what it is you are working with ;))

Mike.

Return to “Beginner Questions”