What logo do you like best?

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Jernau's new style logo
41%
Original style logo
59%

Total votes: 155

McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Ok, as knuckles has pointed out, alot of you, artist, and users alike, seem to like Jernau's new LinuxMint logo, and so, on knuckles' suggestion, I decided to put up a poll, to see what the entire community thought.

The original

Or Jernau's new logo?
tawan

Re: What logo do you like best?

Post by tawan »

or..

which i thought was a nice rework of the current one..
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

I like them both, the original one is more distinct ie. more easy to recognize.
On the other hand, the new one is more lightweight and elegant.
On the third hand(!?) - The new one takes a lot of space to be readable due to the thin letters.
On the left foot(!?!?!?!?) - The varations that has come out of the orignal logo are just that,
variations, no matter how cool they might look - I have done some modifications myself over the years.

Anyway - renewal is a good thing if there are strong reference points to what you are replacing,
and in my opinion there is enough references to the original logo in Jernau's new one that it won't confuse people.

AND it's got references to the logos that predates the current one. :wink:

...and by the way, I voted for the new logo.
Last edited by Zwopper on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
wuying_ren

Post by wuying_ren »

I've voted for jernau's one. I like the actual logo, but jernau's logo is very dynamic. But changing the logo will mean that every piece of artwork has to be redesigned. I mean, for example, this forums and the website...jernau's logo makes me think about a black background for the website and forums with pieces of green decoration...well, i'm not an artist but it looks very cool on my mind! :P

An example of redesign is archlinux.org, it looks very slick and elegant now, and it's a very simple design...isn't Linux Mint slick and elegant?
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

i like the 2Logo's but vote for the one of Jernau.
Why? because it is a new Logo, and a new Logo means fresh air from something new. The Problem is that it is a lot of work to change everything on the themes, websites.......
For the moment we have not Felicia-Final, but the time is perhaps too short, to introduce the new Logo in Mint6.

Why not waiting for Mint7? It will be a new and first release for 2009, with perhaps a lot of new features, underlined with the new Logo/theme! what will push the popularity of the distro.

And the BIG question, what think Clem the maintainer of the distro, from the new LOGO???
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

I like Jernau's work but I voted for the original. I see no need to change.
beauvin

Post by beauvin »

omns wrote:I like Jernau's work but I voted for the original. I see no need to change.
i totally agree with you, voted for the original.

I must say very nice work phonic 8)
tawan

Post by tawan »

beauvin wrote: I must say very nice work phonic 8)
they're not mine :) i forgot the guys name who did them. I think it's ray brown.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

Jernau's is very nice but, I voted for the original.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Rebranding your product for no reason = Dumbest thing ever (regardless whether the new artwork is nice or not)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

belovedmonster wrote:Rebranding your product for no reason = Dumbest thing ever (regardless whether the new artwork is nice or not)
I disagree!
Look at Ericsson - new logo - success, Apple - new logo - success, Microsoft - new logo - Errrr, bad example :? :wink:
Anyway what I mean is, that every now and then companies tweak their branding to mark the start of something new, hopefully better, well I guess that is a reason then.... :oops:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Caraibes »

Both logos are very good... Hard to choose...
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Zwopper wrote:I disagree!
Look at Ericsson - new logo - success, Apple - new logo - success, Microsoft - new logo - Errrr, bad example :? :wink:
Apple have had the same logo since 1976, all that has changed is they lost the colours. The shape of the logo is exactly the same. I'd hardly call that a new logo.

And Ericsson got their new logo presumably when they became 'Sony Ericsson' so that hardly counts.

That said, I'm not disagreeing that companies update their logos, what I said was "Rebranding your product for no reason". Name one reason why Mint needs rebranding? It's not like this is some stuffy corporation that has used the same logo for 25 years and wants to freshen up, nor is it a product that is in the decline or suffering from new competition, fact is Mint is in the ascendancy and is becoming more popular by the week. Rebranding it now makes no sense, even if the logo is deemed "cooler" by an online poll.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I didn't post this to get re-branding for Mint, I simply posted this poll to see what logo ppl liked, that was all.
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

I figured that maybe I should contribute to this discussion. :)

The current logo is good, and Carlos did a wonderful job creating it. However, clearly I wouldn't have spent my time creating a new logo if I thought that the current one was perfect.

In my opinion, there are two things "wrong" with the current logo. Firstly, the typeface lacks consistency - the thickness of letters differs between 'Linux' and 'Mint' (but not enough that it's obviously one of those 'normal then bold' logos), and the letter 'n' appears three times in the logo using three different fonts. Secondly, I feel that the 'lm leaf' part of the logo isn't abstract enough to lend itself to a wide range of creative uses. For example, in my opinion, it doesn't look very good scaled up and used it as the centre piece for a wallpaper.

The new logo attempts to correct both of these perceived short-comings; it uses one font, and the stylised mint leaf is abstract enough to be used in many situations. Whether or not the new logo is "better" than the original is of course purely down to personal preference.

Does Linux Mint need a new logo? No.
Is the new logo "better" than the old one? Maybe not.
Is Linux Mint 6 a good time to try a new logo if people prefer it? Maybe.
N1ckR

Post by N1ckR »

I like the actual mint leaf, not sure if I prefer the whole design or not, but I do like the mint leaf.

Cheers, Nick
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

belovedmonster wrote: That said, I'm not disagreeing that companies update their logos, what I said was "Rebranding your product for no reason". Name one reason why Mint needs rebranding? It's not like this is some stuffy corporation that has used the same logo for 25 years and wants to freshen up, nor is it a product that is in the decline or suffering from new competition, fact is Mint is in the ascendancy and is becoming more popular by the week. Rebranding it now makes no sense, even if the logo is deemed "cooler" by an online poll.
Then what better time to rebrand? If Mint does get a new logo, there is no reason it needs to be right now. Mint 7 would be a reasonable release to experiment with a new logo. And I have to agree with Jernau. The old logo is good, but it does have some negatives about it. The leaf is clean, simple, and can become just as well known as the current logo. Yes, Linux Mint is not a big corporation, so why fear a simple logo change? Changing the forums, and website branding is not that big of a deal, and I believe there are more then enough people willing to pitch in if the job is big.

I voted for Jernau's logo. Carlos has done a wonderful job with all of the artwork he has done for this distro. Thank you :wink:
That said, change is good. Refinement is good. Is "Rebranding your product for no reason", the dumbest thing? I think the community has expressed many good reasons to change.
McLovin wrote:I didn't post this to get re-branding for Mint, I simply posted this poll to see what logo ppl liked, that was all.
You can push the boulder down the hill, but it's hard to steer. :wink:
Check out my other wallpapers Deviantart
Follow me at identica or that other one
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

I'll throw in an opinion here.

While I like the old logo I recognize the points that Jernau made regarding font inconsistency, etc.

I also looked at his example showing the current logo on distrowatch and what the new logo would look like on distrowatch. From my viewpoint the new logo looks much cleaner. The old logo on distrowatch the white letters are nearly washed out into their light green-yellow background and make it look poor. Because of the dark font on the new logo, the lettering shows up clear and consistent :)

I've not been around here a large amount of time but Ive seen some very amazing artwork show up in these forums. I really enjoy the new logo. I think it follows the mint motto "from freedom came elegance" and speaks very well of the distro. I also think that like a previous poster said, the current logo looks a bit cartoonish and the new logo represents the maturity of our distro now.

So that's my two cents for today :)
Heraclitus

Post by Heraclitus »

Both of them are very elegant.
I have a slight preference for the original one.
rhY

Post by rhY »

I don't mean to offend, but neither logo is adequate.

In my view we are competing directly with Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu. All have a superior logo. All have a simpler, cleaner design.

I don't think Mint needs to rebrand. It just needs to simplify, clarify, and evolve. Look at the competition, streamline, and then dominate them.

Mint is already a better OS. It's faster, easier, more solid, more feature filled out of the box. It just works.

Step One I think is losing the "Linux". Windows isn't DOS Windows. Mac OS isn't BSD Mac. You know why? Nobody gives a #&%$. Just make it Mint. Then riff off the original logo, which is not bad actually, lose the L, give it a little more contrast, simplify it. Make a new slogan. I don't know how to do vector art, or I'd do one right now. Maybe I'll sketch one up and gimp it.

Return to “Your Artwork”