Partition problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Partition problem

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

I've booted from the Linux Mint 6 RC1 Live CD and was using it so decided to install it over my existing Linux Mint 5 install but I can't seem to select the Mint 5 partition, it just creates a new partition meaning that my Vista partition will go down in size, the Mint 5 partition will still be there and it'll use more hard disk space which would be a waste because there would be no need to have the Mint 5 partition.

My partition layout would look like this if I installed it now:

Sda 1 = 0%
Sda 2 = 44% (Vista)
Mint 6 RC1 = 29%
Sda 6 = 23% (Linux Mint 5)
Sda 7 = 0%
Sda 5 = 1% (Not sure what's in this partition)

For some reason it doesn't say it gives the Mint 6 partition a Sda number (I'm assuming it's supposed to?), would this be the problem, that I haven't selected an Sda number for it to go against so it selects its own?

I can try and provide a screenshot if necessary but my Windows keyboard PrtScn/SysRq (print screen) button doesn't seem to work with Linux Mint so would have to find another way.

If you need any other information please let me know and I'll try my best to provide it.

Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
proxima_centauri

Re: Partition problem

Post by proxima_centauri »

If you do a manual install you can choose the partition to install to.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

I've looked at that but I get an error message that says:

"No root file system is defined.

Please correct this from the partitioning menu."

I'm sure not where to add the root file system though?

Sorry for sounding thick but I don't want to mess up my other partition because it's got all my data on it and want to get this right first time.

Here's a screenshot, well sort of, for some reason it cuts off half of it but you can still see what I mean, it's most probably really easy but I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Steve
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

After you choose the partition where you want to install Mint 6, you must mark this partition as root, ie /
If not you can not install...

But sometimes you can have to try several times before it works. One time I tried twice and as it did not recognize '/'
I had to reboot the PC and reload the LiveCD for the install works... :roll:

Sometimes there are curious things...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

You need to identify which partition you are installing Mint to. You are installing to the ext3 Partition. Right click on it and hit edit partition, then you need to use as ext3 format and mount it as "/"
Also, You have two SWAP partitions and two windows partitions, one in each accounts for no space.
Are these partitions being used?

Return to “Installation & Boot”