What's in a name?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

What's in a name?

Post by capricornus »

As a foreigner and non-English-speaking participant, and as a Linux newbee but Mint-fan, I try to react in a constructive positive way.
What does it mean, light? It makes you think of sugar or milk, cookies and pie. Xubuntu is a light-weight distro, absolutely true. So if you make a light-weight distro, call it Light.
But Mint Light has nothing to do with that, it is instead a paranoid reaction to American legislature and court manners. Kill 'm by suing 'm. In the word legislature lies the original Latin word leg or lex. If you want to distribute a distro that fit's Microsoft Dominance, call it Mint Lex. And call the full distro Mint Full.

So I invite you to rethink the naming. Not to please me, but to simplify beforehand, instead of confusing everyone. I will stop advising Mint if it goes the Babylonic way: how can other newbies understand that Light has nothing to do with being Light, and by the way, that the color Blue refers to Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Caraibes »

As much as I think Clem is doing an outstanding job with Mint in general, and I am very happy with 2 desktops running Mint, I have to comment that not only the Mint Light name is misleading (because most folks would think it is lightweight), but the project is simply ridiculous !

Mint as a market, it is a "ready to go" desktop. It has also some good extra tools, a good choice of apps, a nice artwork, and all the codecs.

Take the codecs out, and you have a regular Ubuntu, the only difference being the artwork and some different apps.

It is a counter-productive move, as adding yet another "99.5% complete" Ubuntu clone just adds to the distro fragmentation.

A productive move would have been to focus on declining "real" Mint versions for more specific use, with other DE (Xfce, Fluxbox, IceWM...). Alternate install cd's would also be a constructive move.

But advocating international laws & politics only to make a redondant distros is simply ridiculous ! You might have noticed that Ubuntu & Fedora are doing an outstanding job at that already, why add more confusion ???
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/legal
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#head- ... 34df3c2232

-As of sticking with Free Software only ? Well, I applaud the effort, we need to try harder, but why copy gNewSense : http://www.gnewsense.org/FAQ/FAQ

If Ubuntu is the center, you can go on one extreme, and you will find the FLOSS purists, with gNewSense... They have a market, they represent something, they deserve respect. Then you go to the other extreme, and you have Mint : that is for the pragmatic folks. They want a "ready to go" "out of the box" desktop that just works. They don't really care too much about politics. They also represent something, and they also deserve respect.

But remember Ubuntu (or Fedora...) is the center !

After Mint Light, we might see a gNewSense "Full edition", bundled with codecs !!! It is just the same nonsense !!!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

You're really missing the point and with arrogance...

Clem
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Caraibes »

clem wrote:You're really missing the point and with arrogance...

Clem
Ok, I don't want to sound arrogant, so please don't take my stand personnaly. It is a strong opinion, but I don't want to offend you in any way.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Fair enough.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”