mint64 RC-1 Issues

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

mint64 RC-1 Issues

Post by marcus0263 »

First off, it's sweet :cool:

This actually looks like it might cause me to switch my Desktop OS from Gentoo to Mint, I mean I'm really liking it :D

Anyway couple things I've found ...

1. System > Authorizations - pukes when I click on it, just sits there and thinks for a bit then nothing. No error, just nothing
2. System > Users and Groups - the "unlock" button is grayed out, can't manage any system permissions through the GUI

Other than that it's a really, really sweet distro and keeps getting better with every release, I've even put Mint 6 on my Laptop to take it for a spin :cool:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
Husse

Re: mint64 RC-1 Issues

Post by Husse »

It seems you have got a bogus system - this is definitely no general bug.
These two errors really seem related
I know you know a lot about Linux, so please take a look in sudoers, hosts, /etc/pam.d folder, /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf and /etc/group
I strongly suspect en error there (or the two authority files in home - you could always delete them and reboot and check what happens)
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Yeah very well could be, to be honest I haven't done any basic Q/A with it yet :wink:

I'll dink with it some more, but I very well could be downgrading to Mint 5 shortly since there's an XFCE4 version of Mint. I love XFCE4, it strikes a very nice balance between lean but with some "goodies" :cool:
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
crispata

Post by crispata »

Just FYI I've got a two day old install of Elyssa x86_64, installed after checking the md5, which has the identical issues. The users and groups thing isn't a big deal -- all I've needed to do so far is adduser from a terminal, and I know that other user management commands exist (even if I don't know what they are).

I don't know what to expect to see in System --> Authorizations, but mine does exactly as marcus0263 describes.

I don't need any particular support on this, I just wanted to acknowledge that he's not the only one to see these two things.

-- Joe

Return to “Beginner Questions”