CD NOT playing BUT DVD playing fine

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blommie

CD NOT playing BUT DVD playing fine

Post by blommie »

Hi I'm very new to Linux Mint and it took me forever to get my Acer Laptop Aspire 4315 to work 100% with the Elyssa OS.

I have a problem that has just occurred in the last few days. Not sure why BUT I can't play CD's at all. Nothing happens when I put a music CD in the CD/DVD COMBO BUT yet when I put a DVD in it works normal.

Can someone please help. I'm not sure what to look for. The green LED comes on and I can here the CD spinning but nothing happens.

Please someone give me advice.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: CD NOT playing BUT DVD playing fine

Post by Husse »

This can actually be a hardware failure
If I'm not mistaken DVD and CD use different lasers - the wavelength is definitely different and I don't know if it is possible to retune a laser as needed
It can also be dirt on the lens - use a cleaning disk to fix that (if possible)
blommie

Post by blommie »

Husse I tried a disk cleansing but it did not fix the problem which to me is just weird as DVD's are working 100% BUT any CD Music or Data does not register at all. I thought that if one works the other one would automatically also work but not so. Suspect I will have to replace the combo . Is that correct?

Thanks

Riaan
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's probably correct
You see DVD and CD are not using the same laser so I fear the CD laser has been broken
First try it somewhere else if possible

Return to “Hardware Support”