Terminal Problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
laurita

Terminal Problem

Post by laurita »

I've written a program in C so i wanted to test it.
I opened the terminal, compiled my code and tried to run it. But the result was not what i was expecting. The program printed almost the half from what i wanted to print.
Then i run again. Now it printed more than before but again not everything. I tried to debug my code and saw that everything was fine. It should be printed normally, but it didn't in the terminal.
I run some other code and had the same problem again.
So i though that my terminal window is'n showing everything and for some reason it stops printing after some hundred lines.
Is there any explanation for this?
Any solution?
Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Terminal Problem

Post by Husse »

There is not room for an enormous amount of lines in the terminal window - that's why the commands more an less exist
A better way would be to pipe the output to a file - I think you should know how to do that if you compile C programs of your own
laurita

Post by laurita »

I'm sure that's not the problem Husse.
In others OSs like Ubuntu and Suse the printing was succesfull.
However this problem got to a solution. I noticed that it was only happening when my notebook was not plugged to AC but when it was working with the battery.
When i plugged it, it worked fine and the printing was the expected one.
Doesn't anyone know why is this happening, thnx!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hmm - the umph in the battery was not enough....
However the terminal only puts out a limited number of lines which is easy to fix with | > otp.txt
laurita

Post by laurita »

Agreed!
But i told you that in terminals of other OSs i got what i wanted!
In mine too, when it is plugged. But what happens when it isn't?
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you only get a limited number of lines in any distro it's a battery capacity problem
If it's only Mint, and possibly the same generation of Ubuntu it must be something in the power management system that flips out, but it's way over my head. Can be that the voltage is dropping and the terminal shut off to preserve battery....

Return to “Beginner Questions”