Multisession DVD+R can't be read

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinuxForever

Multisession DVD+R can't be read

Post by LinuxForever »

I made a multisession DVD+R with k3b. I had to reinstall Mint since I made the DVD. I need to put more data files on the DVD but although k3b can see the DVD as a multisession DVD it can't load any files or folders from the DVD. In other words k3b can't see the files and folders on the DVD.

Is there anything else I can use besides k3b to add more files to this DVD or at least close the DVD? Or alternatively, is there anyway I could copy the data files from this DVD? Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Multisession DVD+R can't be read

Post by Husse »

Try Brasero
This is something that unfortunately happens now and then regardless of your system
As long as you can read the disk in one way or another it is possible to retrieve the data
Do you see in in Konqueror?
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

Thanks for the help Husse. I tried Brasero and Konqueror and root Krusader and they can't see the files on the DVD. That's 3.5 GB of things I can't replace. It's at times like this I think about buying a Mac but then I remember how much they cost and I stay with Linux.
Husse

Post by Husse »

That's odd..
Install testdisk (you find it in the repositories) Testdisk includes photorec which can recover just about anything from just about anywhere even if no decent file system is present. Let's hope it can solve your problem
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

Husse I tried Testdisk and Photorec. They found my hard drives but noting else. How do I get them to see the DVD burner drive?

I installed magicrescue. I found man pages on testdisk, photorec and magicrescue. I don't understand any of it. Now I'm looking for web pages that explain these in plain english. I don't speak UNIX yet although I am getting better with Welsh.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is from man photorec (and I have used it successfully on a USB stick)
DESCRIPTION
PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost
files including video, documents and archives from Hard Disks and CDRom
and lost pictures (Photo Recovery) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec
ignores the filesystem and goes after the underlying data, so it’ll
work even if your media’s filesystem is severely damaged or formatted.
PhotoRec is safe to use, it will never attempt to write to the drive or
memory support you are about to recover lost data from.
It only says CDRom but in this respect there should be no difference between that and DVD
If not even photorec can read the DVD (and you are trying on the same equipment you burned it on) then I fear the disk has been corrupted - do you see any scratches? or the drive has been damaged - try a cleaning disk
Possible alternate tools are ddrescue or gddrescue (with a GUI) and for Windows there are a few good ones (mostly the tools are not good)
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

I've tried everything I could find on the web and nothing works. I'm putting this on the back burner, setting it aside, relegating it and in general getting on with more pressing matters. Thanks for your help Husse.

Return to “Software & Applications”