screen resolution and detecting my samsung monitor in elyssa

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
motoperpetuo

screen resolution and detecting my samsung monitor in elyssa

Post by motoperpetuo »

i have a 22" samsung 226bw monitor attached to my dell inspiron 530n, running elyssa. when i boot to the ubuntu 8.10 live cd, the 1680x1050 screen resolution is available. it looks about 100 times better than 1600x1024, the greatest resolution available to me under elyssa.

i also notice that in ubuntu 8.10, the "monitor resolution settings" dialog (system|preferences|screen resolution) correctly shows my monitor as "samsung 22" " whereas the same dialog in elyssa (mint menu|preferences|screen resolution) simply identifies it as "unknown." so, i'm guessing that if i could get elyssa to recognize my monitor correctly, i could get that 1680x1050 resolution i so desire. or maybe not. can anyone give me any hints?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
motoperpetuo

Re: screen resolution and detecting my samsung monitor in elyssa

Post by motoperpetuo »

ok, i mostly figured it out myself. i did the following:

1) went to mint menu|control center|nvidia x server settings (under the "system" section).
2) clicked on "x server display configuration" (in the list on the left).
3) selected 1680x1050 from the "resolution" menu.
4) clicked "apply."
5) clicked "quit" to exit the utility.

i had my 1680x1050 resolution, but when i rebooted, it was gone. i had to go to mint menu|preferences|screen resolution and select it there for it to stay after a reboot (although note that it wasn't even an option before i performed steps 1 to 5 above).

also note that i initially performed steps 1 to 5 above while logged in as root. this allowed me to successfully click the "save to x configuration file" button without getting an error about not being able to create an xorg.conf backup file. however, i'm not sure if this step was necessary, because there already was a reference for the 1680x1050 resolution in my xorg.conf.

i hope this helps if anyone else is trying to figure out something similar.

also, my monitor still shows up as "unknown" in mint menu|preferences|screen resolution. if anyone has any idea why, please let me know.
SpudGun

Re: screen resolution and detecting my samsung monitor in el

Post by SpudGun »

mrpickles wrote:
motoperpetuo wrote:
also, my monitor still shows up as "unknown" in mint menu|preferences|screen resolution. if anyone has any idea why, please let me know.

Yes it does this for me too. I followed your instructions and was able to get it to work. I also noticed something before that I hadn't seen which was that for some reason my nvidia driver wasn't enabled when I was trying to do all this which explains some of the bumps I was running into.

So far my monitor works great. The only problem is that it seems to have some kind of crazy ****** up alignment now. Essentially, there seems to be a gap between the picture and the actual edge of the screen. About a 3 cm gap. Just big enough that it will make my gnome menu bar disappear so i keep it on the right side now.
The alignment problem that you got can be adjusted using the controls on your monitor, they may be hidden behind a flap someware, but there should be some, cant help if its laptop .
Last edited by Oscar799 on Mon May 03, 2010 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offensive language removed

Return to “Hardware Support”