OpenSolaris RC2

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

OpenSolaris RC2

Post by exploder »

I was just checking out OpenSolaris RC2 from the Live CD and noticed it is making some remarkable progress. All my hardware worked with the exception of my modem. The modem is no big deal because I have never used it anyways. The software packages are up to date and the Sun specific tools seem to be working well. The package manager is very strait forward and professional. The appearance, themes , wallpapers, gdm, etc are nice and everything looked polished.

One thing that bothers me is there is no shutdown or restart buttons. I will have to investigate this further. Also, the scroll wheel for the mouse does not work even though the mouse is detected properly. The hardware information provided by the system is very good, my hardware specs were right on the money! Memory use is a little high but I found a few things that could be tweaked to improve this.

For as young a system as OpenSolaris is there seems to be some real strong development going on. I will definitely be keeping my eye on OpenSolaris! If you haven't checked out OpenSolaris it is worth the time to have a look!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: OpenSolaris RC2

Post by Husse »

worth the time
You have some time to sell? :) :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: OpenSolaris RC2

Post by exploder »

You have some time to sell? :) :)
Nice!

I tried installing OpenSolaris on my test box. The installed system had the shutdown and restart buttons. The installed system was very slow to load and had some problems shutting down. Four devices did not have drivers on the test machine, so I would guess this accounts for the problems I saw. My idea to tweak things to reduce memory use didn't work out on the installed system. Tracker is enabled for the Live session by default but was not enabled in he installed system. I noticed the floppy drive could not be mounted, oh well who needs it anyways. I will have to check out the final release and see how things progress.

Return to “Chat about Linux”