Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Re: Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" RC1 released!

Post by Husse »

@ kwakito
There will be an upgrade tool from Elyssa to Felicia
I'm not sure about upgrading from RC1 though - it's generally considered better not to upgrade from an "unstable" release
It will depend on how much we find it necessary to change between the releases
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

unreal223 wrote:What is the target date for the final to be released?
when it's ready :)
kwakito

Post by kwakito »

Hi Husse,

So far, my experience with RC1 is great. Been installing a lot of software using mint install and didn't encounter any problem. My question is if there's an upgrade path for elyssa to felicia, why not with unstable to felicia? Just a newbie question.

Edward
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

unreal223 wrote:Ok, so my new question:
When is it going to be ready? :P
I believe the official line is that it's ready when it's ready. Can't be to far away though.
wuying_ren

Post by wuying_ren »

I've been testing this RC1 since the day it was released and the only "bug" I've found...well, I think it's an Ubuntu bug :P PulseAudio seems to have some problems when working while boinc-client is on the background. It's very annoying while listening to music.

I'm using Amarok but I want to try using another player. This way I'll be sure that it's not an Amarok issue.

Apart from this little thing, everything else works like a charm :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

There will be a tool to upgrade from Elyssa to Felicia
However the upgrade path from RC1 to final is different and as it is a "pre-release" our general advice is as always to do a fresh install
But this also depends very much on how much is changed. We will probably publish a method to do that upgrade, but it has to be done manually
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Well I am back. I went to reinstall Linux Mint 6 RC after having some issues and it will not let me install ATI drivers without a blank screen after reboot. I have went back to Linux Mint 5 due to this issue. Wow I did not think this would be an issue with the version. Well I guess I will have to wait for the Final release and hope for the best.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

KakarotUSMC wrote:I've been wondering about Mint 6 regarding the performance versus Intrepid. Since Intrepid is compiled for i386, it's not exactly optimized for newer processors and 4GB of RAM. So is Mint 6 going to be i686 optimized or default to the i386 found in Intrepid?

I know you'll eventually release an x64 version of Mint 6, but some of my games run better in Wine on a 32-bit OS.

Thanks!
Hey Devil Dog -

If you've got 4 Gig of RAM it shouldn't be an issue running 32Bit. The kernel is also compiled for 686's from what I see, but you can always roll your own, it's rather easy once you do it a couple of times.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

KakarotUSMC wrote:marcus0263 - Sounds great. Mint usually performs snappier than Ubuntu, or at least it seems that way.

Happy 233rd birthday.
Yeah, we're getting old aren't we, but still kicken @$$ ;)

To roll your own it's very easy with any Debian based system, just make sure you install

Code: Select all

apt-get install kernel-package linux-source libncurses5-dev
Once you extract the tarball in /usr/src create your symlink

ln -s linux-source-<rest of file name> linux 
go into /usr/src/linux and clean up the compiler cache

make-kpkg clean
copy over the config for the current running kernel

cp /boot/config<rest of file name> /usr/src/linux/.config
Then do your "make menuconfig", make sure you load up the config which is .config, make your modifications and save

Then compile the kernel and headers

make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-<what ever ya want> kernel_image kernel_headers
Once done go back to /usr/src which is where the .deb files will be and install both with a simple "dpkg -i" and reboot. Debian does a wonderful job and makes kernel compiling just bloody easy :cool:

Edit: Corrected a case a "fat finger", I'm bad at that :shock:
Last edited by marcus0263 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
sam.khawse

Post by sam.khawse »

Felicia is an awesome distro...
Earlier I was on Elyssa and was bugged by the network manager so decided to shift to shomething else (I have BCM43xx card).
I tried Opensuse 11.1 (Both KDE4 and GNOME) and Fedora 10(RC) and Intrepid.
But the best distro is LinuxMint Felicia..
It is so cool that I wonder if we should call it RC1...
Thanks a lot!!
--
Sam Khawse
Dell XPS M1330, NVdia GeForce 8400 GS, 2 GB RAM, 160GB HDD, BCM43xx nw card
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

@sam.khawse
in the most of the time the RC-Versions from Mint goes Gold without a lot of changes.
The last RC was Elyssa64, an there we had only 2changes in the Gold version (but so little that for the most of the persons it was more simple to keep the RC.)
new2linuxmint

Post by new2linuxmint »

This was the only linux that was able to see my wireless on a Toshiba A300 Satellite Pro PSAK1E laptop. Well done.

Not got encryption working yet, looking at how-tos now. I came to linux because the wireless still won't work in *BSD, and I'm sick of the vista that came with it.

This laptop is an amd64 turon. Are there amd64 sources available? It has 3GB RAM, should be awesome performance-wise in 64 bit.
wuying_ren

Post by wuying_ren »

Wenches_Master wrote:
wuying_ren wrote:I've been testing this RC1 since the day it was released and the only "bug" I've found...well, I think it's an Ubuntu bug :P PulseAudio seems to have some problems when working while boinc-client is on the background. It's very annoying while listening to music.

I'm using Amarok but I want to try using another player. This way I'll be sure that it's not an Amarok issue.

Apart from this little thing, everything else works like a charm :D
As I said it is an Ubuntu Intrepid bug as a whole I believe.
Mint 5 Worked Flawless, except setting up my wirelss, But I expected that.
No prob though a little tweaking got that fixed pretty quickly.

I dwnld Mint 6rc1 as soon as it boots, the system sounds works during bootup then they shut down, Sound is Ok on Media Players and the like.
So out of a hunch I dwnld Kbuntu to see if it might have been a Gnome prob, But it isn't.... :roll:

I've scrounged the Mint Forums, Ubuntu's, Linux Question, and Googled for a solution the few I found that might have worked didn't... :(
I checked KDE and a Bug Report was submitted.
But my one question is this if it's a KDE Kmix bug prob.
Then why would it also affect Gnome????????
Heck even Konqueror Crashes, with the same Fatal Error message.

While yes I believe that the bug is part KDE's, I believe it's more an Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid bug then anything else....

I'm going to have to go back to Mint 5 and back my dwnld's up for awhile to wait this one out I guess!!!! :(

Maybe it'll be fixed by the time Mint 7 comes out???
This isn't Mint's fault, I've seen other distro's that based themseleves off of Ubuntu, of coarse inherit Ubuntu's probs.
I've seen Ubuntu take a couple release cycles to fix something rather simple.
But most times... The distro that base's it self off of Ubuntu ends up Fixing it for them....

Now don't get me wrong Ubuntu is Great, but I think they ought to fix the Bug's before the next release, or the Next release has the same ones PLUS more that crop up... Then the Bugs that are already there get shoved to the Side for as I said before someone else to Fix....

I'm dwnloading the Mint KDE Edition at the moment, Not that I don't like Gnome it's Great, I just prefer KDE if possible.... 8)
I've found a workaround for my Amarok issue: setting the engine to "alsa" instead of "pulseaudio" or "autodetect". Also, as you stated, yesterday I noticed that system sounds stop working after login in.
new2linuxmint wrote:
Not got encryption working yet, looking at how-tos now. I came to linux because the wireless still won't work in *BSD, and I'm sick of the vista that came with it.
Days ago I posted a how-to for this (very long and boring).
bealer

Post by bealer »

No problems for me either. I've installed RC1 on my Dell M1330 without any problems, everything works out of the box.

Couple of questions.

- Is there an easy way of getting the new Ubuntu Gnome theme onto my laptop?

- How come you dropped f-spot? (I know it's Mono, but Mono isn't that bad). There isn't a photo manager in the default setup, that's all. Something people use a lot these days.

Very pleased with it.
wierdo 124

Post by wierdo 124 »

When do you expect the final to be released?
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

bealer wrote:No problems for me either. I've installed RC1 on my Dell M1330 without any problems, everything works out of the box.

Couple of questions.

- Is there an easy way of getting the new Ubuntu Gnome theme onto my laptop?

- How come you dropped f-spot? (I know it's Mono, but Mono isn't that bad). There isn't a photo manager in the default setup, that's all. Something people use a lot these days.

Very pleased with it.

sudo apt-get install f-spot
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Final must be just about ready soon I reckon? I can feel it in the air.... :D
zhifeng zhang

Post by zhifeng zhang »

I've tried RC1 on my laptop without any other problems since it released, but one issue was happened to me,
that I can't input Chinese character on English language environment. It seems that CISM doesn't work! Could
any guys tell me how to solve it?
tawan

Post by tawan »

badmotor wrote:I can feel it in the air.... :D
ahem, sorry, that may have been me.. i had beans.

I hope it's here soon too :) don't know why as Elyssa is wonderful as was Daryna, but we all like a new toy. I wonder if it is the upgrade tool that is slowing progress or if Intrepid was carrying more bugs than expected...?..

tick tock tick tock
motocamp

Post by motocamp »

Hi,

I use mint since some month and I'm very satisfied. It is absolutely the best distribution. The only thing I had some hard problems to solve was the wifi-installation on ma HP Pavillion dv 9810 eg. The solution was to install the madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3828-20080731 drivers.

Please, could you integrate this madwifi-hal into the next version of mint?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

René.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”