Cloning Installation?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
garda

Cloning Installation?

Post by garda »

I'm looking for a way to clone my Elyssa installation from one computer to another that has completely different specs. So far, I've come across a few articles and forum posts discussing this matter and have come to knowing that there are several softwares that can help me achieve this. The softwares include:

- Partition Image (seems pretty tough to understand)
- The in-built "dd" (can be a disk destroyer if used carelessly)
- CloneZilla (looks like the most user-friendly of them all)
- Remastersys (haven't read much about it)

One more thing to note is I have Windows XP (OEM, no installation disc available) installed on the destination computer and would like to be able to dual-boot Elyssa with it after the cloning. I need some recommendations on what software(s) to choose, pluses and minuses of each of them, and of course early warnings (if any) about what to expect. I'm still fairly new to Linux, so I appreciate detailed information.

Thank you all in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Re: Cloning Installation?

Post by miket »

Hi !

If you don't have a windows XP installation disk to hand my suggestion is you don't attempt this !
One slip and your XP will be gone for ever ....

I would suggest installing from fresh using the Mint installer.
Whatever you do make sure you have a complete backup of the XP partition before you start !!

Mike.
garda wrote:I'm looking for a way to clone my Elyssa installation from one computer to another that has completely different specs. So far, I've come across a few articles and forum posts discussing this matter and have come to knowing that there are several softwares that can help me achieve this. The softwares include:

- Partition Image (seems pretty tough to understand)
- The in-built "dd" (can be a disk destroyer if used carelessly)
- CloneZilla (looks like the most user-friendly of them all)
- Remastersys (haven't read much about it)

One more thing to note is I have Windows XP (OEM, no installation disc available) installed on the destination computer and would like to be able to dual-boot Elyssa with it after the cloning. I need some recommendations on what software(s) to choose, pluses and minuses of each of them, and of course early warnings (if any) about what to expect. I'm still fairly new to Linux, so I appreciate detailed information.

Thank you all in advance.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I second Mike's advice.
garda

Post by garda »

Hi Mike, :)

Thanks for the warning. I forgot to mention that there is, however, a set of system recovery discs that came with the package. Given that, what would you suggest? I look forward to getting more information from you and, of course, anyone else. I want to keep myself away from customizing everything from scratch.

Garda
garda

Post by garda »

Thanks for the links. I've taken it for a spin and it's worked quite well for me too thus far.

Return to “Installation & Boot”