No access to microphone (TokBox)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MickeyESW

No access to microphone (TokBox)

Post by MickeyESW »

Hi,

after 1 great year with Linux Mint finally my first post in the forum, as neither forum search (Mint, Ubuntu) nor Google search helped me to solve my problem:

I like to use the free online web video/phone conference service provided by tokbox.com.
When starting a conference I get the message "You have disabled access to your camera and microphone. You must allow access ..."

So my question is: How to grant access to the laptop microphone to the (flash) application?

I've managed to get Skype to work, but I prefer the online tool as it requires no installation.

Sytem: Linux Mint Elyssa; Gnome; Notebook Toshiba Satellite 5200 (~5 years old)

Thanks
Michael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: No access to microphone (TokBox)

Post by Husse »

Pleas describe TokBox or give us a link
Unfortunately telling us which laptop you have tells us just about that - the hardware in laptops can vary widely even if they are called the same. I've given up searching for hardware content long before I joined Mint ...
Run lspci in a terminal and post the result
Also tell us exactly which Mint you have
MickeyESW

Post by MickeyESW »

Sorry for not beeing detailed enough, I thought the HW does not matter, as Skype works, as well as audio record, so it is just the missing access rights to get it working. Anyhow:
System: Linux Mint5, Up-to-date, Main Gnome Edition.
> lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset Host Bridge (rev 04)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 04)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 42)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801CAM ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801CAM IDE U100 Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV31M [GeForce FX Go5600] (rev a1)
02:06.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 41)
02:06.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 41)
02:06.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 02)
02:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller (rev 42)
02:0b.0 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC100 PCI to Cardbus Bridge with ZV Support (rev 33)
02:0d.0 System peripheral: Toshiba America Info Systems SD TypA Controller (rev 05)

The link to tokbox: http://www.tokbox.com
In short it is a complete online application for voice/video/chat conferences. Like Skype, but without any installation, the whole thing just runs in the browser.
After signing in there is the option to record a test video mail. The error appears, when I try to do so. It starts, then one needs to
press the "Record Message" button and then it complains that there is no access for the application to use the camera and microphone.
It shows an "Allow Access" button, but that does not work, just nothing happens.

So my main question is, how can I grant access to camera and microphone for such an application?

Thanks
Michael
Husse

Post by Husse »

The hardware is a bit unusual, I can't really recall seeing some of it, but it is an AC97 sound card - should not be a problem
The application is flash based - that could be a problem - what about youtube? Can you watch movies with sound? This is a good test it seems
MickeyESW

Post by MickeyESW »

Everything works fine, Skype, YouTube, Audi Record, etc.
I just tried Gizmo (from the package manager). At start it complains that there are no audio devices available.
Starting from the terminal I see the following error message:
> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:874:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
> ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:565:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
Starting as root it opens fine and there is no such error message.
May be something similar happens when using flash with tokbox? As it seems to be a problem related to some access rights?
Of course I don't like to run Firefox as root.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Of course I don't like to run Firefox as root.
Please never ever do that!
This is not quite easy as it seems you have to understand flash more than a bit
To get some overview run this

Code: Select all

fuser -v /dev/snd/*
and post the result
You have an ALSA faq here
http://alsa.opensrc.org/FAQ
MickeyESW

Post by MickeyESW »

> fuser -v /dev/snd/*
USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/snd/controlC0: michael 7210 f.... mixer_applet2

I think the problem is not related to the HW itself, but to the permission for the application to use it.
Why can Skype acces and use it, but Flash not?

Thanks
Michael

Return to “Sound”