Upgrading Monitor

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SpudGun

Upgrading Monitor

Post by SpudGun »

I'm going to upgrade my monitor from CRT to LCD during the christmas holliday, is there anything i should do first before i switch monitors, i know that in windows you can just bung it on there and windows finds new hardware, i dont know what will happen in linux, will i have to reinstall? I hope not, I've been running mint 5 from its beginning with no problems on this machine and i dont want to reinstall untill the next LTS. any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Upgrading Monitor

Post by Husse »

Just plug it in
If you have DMI no problems, if you use vga you may get problems with resolution, but nothing that can't be solved
(remember gksu displayconfig-gtk )
SpudGun

Post by SpudGun »

Thanks for the advice Husse, i'll give it go and see what happens. :D
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

The only thing I might add is that the style of monitor may be a factor depending on your video card/driver. I am not sure if this is a problem anymore, but in the past, I saw an issue with a wide screen monitor and a video chip that would only support the standard measurements. That guy just carried the wide screen back to the store, exchanged for a full screen one, and had flawless performance after that.

With all the bargains I have seen recently with LCD prices, this looks like an excellent time to invest in some new hardware. Please post back and let us know what you brought home.
SpudGun

Post by SpudGun »

rivenought wrote:The only thing I might add is that the style of monitor may be a factor depending on your video card/driver. I am not sure if this is a problem anymore, but in the past, I saw an issue with a wide screen monitor and a video chip that would only support the standard measurements. That guy just carried the wide screen back to the store, exchanged for a full screen one, and had flawless performance after that.

With all the bargains I have seen recently with LCD prices, this looks like an excellent time to invest in some new hardware. Please post back and let us know what you brought home.
Ok, will do, i'll be looking to place an order next week, probably from Dabs, they got some LG monitors for around 100 quid. :D
SpudGun

Post by SpudGun »

I've now done the upgrade, i got a 22'' Belnea for £107, bunged it on there and it worked, but still at my old screen res of 1024 x 768, the menu was the size of a sheet of A4 :D it took me a lot of trial and error before i settled for 1440 x 900. This is a dual boot machine with XP on the first drive, and the strange thing is, it now runs at a faster refresh rate in linux than it does in windows WOW! 60 for windows and 75 for linux :lol:
Husse

Post by Husse »

And as it is a LCD the refresh rate is not of much interest - note that 60 or 75 are the only (?) refresh rates to use with LCD and the default is 60 for most (all?)
SpudGun

Post by SpudGun »

Husse wrote:And as it is a LCD the refresh rate is not of much interest - note that 60 or 75 are the only (?) refresh rates to use with LCD and the default is 60 for most (all?)
Thats the main reason i wanted to upgrade, CRT's and linux was killing my eyes, my pc in windows does 115 on a CRT and linux could only do 85. I'm a very happy man now with my LCD, best upgrade i ever did :D
SpudGun

Post by SpudGun »

I Dont know why that posted twice. :oops:
Husse

Post by Husse »

CaptainStrangePork wrote:I Dont know why that posted twice. :oops:
This happens from time to time - happened to me too,
There's a delete button - a little x - that you can use to delete your own posts.
I deleted the double - it's in my powers :lol:

Return to “Hardware Support”