Flag avatars

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Flag avatars

Post by clem »

Hi everybody,

The flags from the CIA factbook have been uploaded on the forum and you can now use your country flag as your avatar. Since our community is spread around the World, we thought it would be a good idea for people to show where they were from.

Of course, if you'd rather use something different, you can always point to another avatar, or if you prefer not to use any.. you can do that as well.

In order to change your avatar, click on "profile" at the top of this page, choose "Avatar" and browse the list of flags until you find the one you want.

I'd like to thank the CIA world factbook for publishing these beautiful flags in the public domain. Their website is also full of information, if you want to have a look, here's a link to it: https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/

Clem.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Fantastic idea Clem.

As you can see I picked mine!
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Flag Avatars

Post by npap »

Fragadelic wrote:Fantastic idea Clem.

As you can see I picked mine!
Are you fellows starting a nationalistic movement? :roll:
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

lol - Its all Clem but most folks already put their conutry of origin or residence.

Linux is without borders. It is kind of nice to know where everyone is from without getting specific though.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Flag Avatars

Post by npap »

I was only kidding, Fragadelic. But I think I started the movement myself, when I asked Clem if MInt was a Canadian- based project.
You know, the French and all.

But I'm trying to use Socrates as my avatar. Don't you think the fellow deserves it?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

oh no, nationalism is not my cup of tea :) For people who see themselves as "citizens of the World" (I would be more thinking along those lines actually...) I can add a "World" icon.

And as I said before, you're welcome to use the flags if you want to, but you can also link to any other kind of avatars.

It's your call in the end of the day :)
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Flag Avatars

Post by Fragadelic »

npap wrote:I was only kidding, Fragadelic. But I think I started the movement myself, when I asked Clem if MInt was a Canadian- based project.
You know, the French and all.

But I'm trying to use Socrates as my avatar. Don't you think the fellow deserves it?
Not sure if it is only me but I don't see your avatar. It is blank.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Flag Avatars

Post by npap »

Well, I tried linking to my desktop to get my Socrates avatar, but I found out that it didn't work.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

What error message did you get?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well... I wish you didn't ask :) There was a bug on the upload module of phpbb... which I fixed, and now I have another bug which I can't really explain. I've been looking at it for a week and it started taking too much time. After all I'm maintaining Linux Mint, not phpbb :) So I removed that non-working feature.

Note: It worked when linuxmint.com was on servage.net for some reason. I checked the permissions and they're ok. It must be something to do with php.ini or either the php or mysql versions... but to be honest I spent enough time on that.

Clem
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Flag Avatars

Post by npap »

clem wrote:What error message did you get?
I thought I could get my avatar from the desktop but I see it can't be done.
When I do this in the avatar console, I get this message: Your profile has been edited.
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

Yay! finally a face(ish). I like the flags idea it is good that they a public domain and they let you see where people are coming from :wink:
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Flag Avatars

Post by npap »

Hi Alephcat,

It's not a bad idea to see where everybody in the forum comes from. I Besides, it makes the Forum attractive to the eyes.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Flag avatars

Post by npap »

Hello everybody,
As more and more people are joining the Forum, I have to go to the Flag Avatar site, most of the time, to see what country is represented.
You see, I've never been very good in Geography.

If anybody wants to use a flag Avatar, it's his privilege. But wouldn't it be easier if the name of the country were written below it?
Just a thought.
Best regards to the Mint nations.

npap
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Hello npap,

I too had this problem :) How can one quickly look up someone's flag? The CIA has all answers:
https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fa ... world.html

This page is listing all official flags of all internationally recognized countries. Very useful 8)

Regards,

Scorp123

Return to “Releases & Announcements”