Unable to mount floppy: MInt 6 RC1

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shadoglare

Unable to mount floppy: MInt 6 RC1

Post by Shadoglare »

Hi guys, I'm a recent convert to Mint as of a couple of weeks ago, giving it a try after spending some time under OpenSuse.

Earlier tonight I had my first real "pull-your-hair-out" moment, trying to mount a floppy. I have an old laptop that doesn't have USB for removable media, only floppy, and I had done the majority of my work on a research paper using that laptop - went to put it into my main PC under Mint for final editing (the night before it's due, no less) - to find that for the life if me I couldn't get the dang floppy to mount!
OpenSuse simply gave me an icon that I could right-click on and select "mount," and checking tonight from my Win2K partition the drive and disk are both working fine.
But under Mint I no longer get the icon, and trying to remember how to do it "the old fashioned way," I get a series of errors.
So first I created a directory at /mnt/floppy as there didn't appear to be a mount point already.
Then entered mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy and got the response that /dev/fd0 was not in /etc/fstab so it couldn't mount.
OK, so I open up /etc/fstab and put in an entry for /dev/fd0.
Repeat the mount command, it now tells me that /dev/fd0 doesn't exist.
I list the directly for /dev/ and sure enough there's no fd0 there - what is there is a folder called "fd," and then under that several entries such as 0,1,2,3, etc.
So I try again, this time using /dev/fd/0 instead of /dev/fd0.
This time it comes back and tells me that /dev/fd/0 "is not a block device."

I tried chatting with someone in the IRC channel who was kind enough to try to help but had to admit it had been a while since he tried to use a floppy, and suggested trying fd1 instead of fd0 (which didn't work) and also to verify that I was in a group called "floppy."
Well, going into the user/group manager, there is no group called floppy. He stated it should be group 19, but it didn't exist, so I created a new group #19 called floppy and dropped both myself and root under it. No change.

Seriously, this shouldn't be this hard. I fall strongly into the "I just want it to work" category, and Mint is failing immensely in this respect. What the hek do I need to do to see the stinkin' floppy? I was able to jerry-rig my way into my research paper by using Win2K long enough to pull the file off of the floppy and drop it onto a USB drive, so at least the crisis is over, but still - what's the deal! Is this some little detail that was late to be added to the RC release, or is this just the way Mint is?

Any help would be appreciated :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Unable to mount floppy: MInt 6 RC1

Post by Husse »

Hardly anyone uses a floppy these days
You were on the right track
The floppy driver (module) is not loaded at boot any more
So " sudo modprobe floppy " is needed
If you want it to happen automatically at boot add the line "floppy" to the file /etc/modules.
The correct line for a floppy in fstab would be
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
Shadoglare

Post by Shadoglare »

Thanks much - this is able to get me into the floppy.
Is there a way to have the system load the module by default rather than having to do it manually?
Husse

Post by Husse »

This was in my answer
If you want it to happen automatically at boot add the line "floppy" to the file /etc/modules.
Like so

Code: Select all

echo "floppy" | sudo tee -a  /etc/modules

Return to “Installation & Boot”