how to exclude Openoffice update from mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linux n00b

how to exclude Openoffice update from mint

Post by Linux n00b »

I install open office 3 and likes it better than 2.4.

Now there is a problem, mint update listed 2.4 as an "update". I'm sure there must be a way I can tell mint update it is not, and only ask me if there is update for 3.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: how to exclude Openoffice update from mint

Post by Husse »

In mintUpdate deselect the OO updates you find now
When new updates arrives find out if they are for 2 or 3 and act accordingly
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

I guess that's just a straight "No".

Ubuntu has already stated they won't include openoffice 3, and chance for mint to add it is very small. So my list of "update" will always be wrong.
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

It's a small thing though really. I had that happen on Mint 5 when I installed Flash 10 RC. The updater would always show Flash 9 as an upgrade so I'd just de-select it.

BTW, I changed the defaults so my Mint Update only runs once a day!
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Linux n00b
I think you misunderstood me
Just untick OO in mintUpdate, you will then see the updates but they will not be applied.
When new updates arrive, check if it is for OO2 and deselect or OO3 and update if you like
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

I perfectly understood what you mean, that's what I have been doing. It is only a small annoying issue as kansasnoob said.

I have this hobby that I want to keep my system up-to-date (in another word, see the small "lock" closed). Maybe this can be a suggestion for future Mint release - Mint update should check version number, if it finds a later number in user system, do not list earlier version as update.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

uncheck all levels of updates and all will be well. You won't have to worry about any more updates, or assles with updates. :P
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

OOO3 is in Intrepid Proposed. Or is it Backports? Unlock both then:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
Husse

Post by Husse »

AK Dave wrote:OOO3 is in Intrepid Proposed. Or is it Backports? Unlock both then:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
NO NO!
Never suggest a dist-upgrade without a word of caution!
As long as you have the correct repositories for your version of Mint it is OK, but the minute you add a repository for a later (or for that matter previous) version of Ubuntu you have problems
(I'm not saying you can't do it, but it takes some expertise not to destroy Mint)
This would only be OK in Felicia in any other Mint you destroy your system if you somehow enable Intrepid repos
Proposed and Backports may not be a problem but I don't know the entire contents of these

Return to “Beginner Questions”