How Many Updates?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sarahmarienc

How Many Updates?

Post by sarahmarienc »

I just installed LM6RC1 and it says there are 126 updates available? But they all look like ubuntu updates? And they are all level 3? I think these are what my husband installed that caused my LM5 Gnome to act quirky. LOL
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: How Many Updates?

Post by Husse »

Unfortunately updates pile up...
I don't know what hardware you have - some wifi, sound cards and other objects may object (sorry :)) to the upgrades
A standard desktop probably not
I don't know you Linux knowledge but I'd go through the updates and see if there's anything that really needs an update
There may be updates to bind - really important to install and there may be other updates that are not really important
sarahmarienc

Re: How Many Updates?

Post by sarahmarienc »

I really haven't changed anything on the specifications of my computer other than removing Windows and installing a wireless card. Here are the specifications for my desktop. It's supposed to be a media pc however since I don't have windows any more, I don't use the media side of it except for watching videos and listening to music (no live tv) and those work fine in the Mint default media programs.

This is the way my computer came:

Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5600+ for TRUE multi-tasking
• 2.8GHz, 1MB + 1MB L2 Cache, 2000Hz System Bus
Chipset
NVIDIA nForce 430
Standard memory
3072GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x1024MB & 2x512MB for ultimate performance) (expandable to 8GB)
Memory type
DDR2-SDRAM
Memory slots
4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) (occupied)
Internal drives
Internal hard disk drive
500GB
Hard disk controller
SATA hard drive
Hard disk drive speed
(7200 rpm)
Optical drive type
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Optical drive speed
16x DVD±R, 8x DVD+RW,, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 8x DVD-R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CDR, 32x CDRW, 40x CD-ROM
System features
Memory card device
15in1 memory card reader
Modem
56k modem
Network interface
Ethernet 10/100/1000BT integrated network interface
I took this out and put in a linksys pci wireless cards which so far has had zero problems with Mint.

Video adapter
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB dedicated graphics memory. Up to 623MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista®
Video RAM
128MB
Compatible interactive TV services
NTSC TV tuner, over-the-air ATSC high-definition television tuner, and FM tuner (antenna included)
Internal audio
High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable
Keyboard
HP Keyboard
Handheld remote control
HP Media Center remote control with IR (infrared) receiver
External drive bays
2 external 5.25" (one available)
External I/O ports
6 USB 2.0 port(s), 2 FireWire (IEEE 1394) port(s), Microphone/Headphone; S-Video; Composite Video; Audio inputs (L & R), Microphone/Line-in/Line-out (back), 2 PS/2; Digital Audio-out; LAN; Rear speaker-out/Side speaker-out/Center (subwoofer); VGA-out;
Expansion slots
2 PCI slots (occupied), 1 PCI Express x16 slot slot(s) (occupied)

Return to “Beginner Questions”