Un-installing Updates?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sarahmarienc

Un-installing Updates?

Post by sarahmarienc »

Is there a way to un-install updates? Looks like I installed something that is messing up my desk top configuration. Wish they would mark these updates better so I knew which ones were mint and which ones were from ubuntu. YUCK! May have to just start all over. Sigh!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Un-installing Updates?

Post by exploder »

You can find what you have updated using the "History" feature in Synaptic. Once you find the offending update you can use the "Force Version" feature to revert back to the package you had been using.

If you post what version of Mint you are using I might be of more help to you. Also, what did the update break?
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

exploder wrote:You can find what you have updated using the "History" feature in Synaptic. Once you find the offending update you can use the "Force Version" feature to revert back to the package you had been using.

If you post what version of Mint you are using I might be of more help to you. Also, what did the update break?
Using Linux Mint 6 RC1-- I now get an error that says that "Ubuntu??" is running in low graphics mode and something to do with xorg configuration and my NVidia driver....
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Looks like you just need to re-install your NVidia drivers to get things back to normal.
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

I tried to do that and it didn't take. It gives me the same error message upon reboot after installing the driver...
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Have you looked at your history to see what you updated when the problem occurred? I know there is a solution for this. :)

Edit: Just open Synaptic, go to File, History and click on the date the problem started.
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

LOL Exploder,

This version of mint (6rc1) has only been on my computer for a few hours...My husband apparently updated some of the same/similar updates and I couldn't back track last night so I decided to try out 6rc1 rather than put 5 Gnome back on my desktop.

I had fun doing it. Learned how to partition my 500GB hard drive. Took me a few installs. Finally get the thing working and then I apparently selected the same stupid updates (or similar) and cause the same crazy problem my husband had caused last night!

There were something like 126 updates so who knows which one broke it. I think I'm just gonna do a fresh install and then not do any of those original 126 updates.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Well, I am just glad you have a resolution to this. I learn more from the things that go wrong than anything else. :mrgreen:
sarahmarienc

Re: Un-installing Updates? SOLVED

Post by sarahmarienc »

exploder wrote:Well, I am just glad you have a resolution to this. I learn more from the things that go wrong than anything else. :mrgreen:
Very true for me also. Computer is running fine without those 126 updates (which I looked and are all level 3 and look to be ubuntu not Mint) I disabled them from being visible in my update manager so that I can't accidentally click install and unintentionally download those along with the ones I want. I've had maybe 7-10 Mint updates that were levels 1 & 2 and they have not broken the desktop resolution or graphics SO I'm assuming it was something in those I disabled visibility on. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”