Keyboard quit working?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steve9199

Keyboard quit working?

Post by steve9199 »

I booted into my Mint KDE 5 desktop today and the keyboard wouldn't do any inputs. It worked fine yesterday though. The mouse still works however. After several reboot and cable reseating attempts there was still no activity from my KB. Any ideas?

Thanks-Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Keyboard quit working?

Post by Husse »

The keyboard died?
Can you use another keyboard or check this one on another computer?
steve9199

Post by steve9199 »

Husse wrote:The keyboard died?
Can you use another keyboard or check this one on another computer?

Nope..the keyboard works fine on th XP side of my dual boot OS. The KB just locks up when the Mint desktop loads. It'll let me log in, then nothing.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hmm
No hardware error
Check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
There should be a Section for the keyboard
Other than that I don't have a clue...
Bipioneer

Post by Bipioneer »

It happens to me too! Keyboard worked fine for a month. Suddenly it does not work anymore :shock:

At the boot, I can use the keyboard because I can use the arrows to choose between different boot choises. After the boot, I cannot enter the password in the login window!!

The keyboard is a Logitech cordless and it is working under Win XP. I am working with Win now :(

If I find out a solution, I will post it :|

I will back here also to see if someone else has sorted this out. Thanks. Claudio.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have other obligations right now, but as soon as I can I'll take a look at this
Husse

Post by Husse »

It seems to be a bit hard to sort out and to continue I need to know exactly what kind of keyboard you guys have
steve9199 you seem to have a wired keyboard - model and USB or PS2?
Bipioneer you have a Logitech cordless - which? Bluetooth or not?
And it has been working for both of you?
Unless you just updated something to do with keyboards I see no immediate explanation. If it happened and was resolved with a reboot it was a buffer that got overfilled.
Try to remember if you did any system changes at all just before it stopped working
steve9199

Post by steve9199 »

Husse wrote:It seems to be a bit hard to sort out and to continue I need to know exactly what kind of keyboard you guys have
steve9199 you seem to have a wired keyboard - model and USB or PS2?
Bipioneer you have a Logitech cordless - which? Bluetooth or not?
And it has been working for both of you?
Unless you just updated something to do with keyboards I see no immediate explanation. If it happened and was resolved with a reboot it was a buffer that got overfilled.
Try to remember if you did any system changes at all just before it stopped working
Thanks for the help Husse...

Unfortunately I had to delete my Mint partition and attempt to start over. I did run into other issues when I tried to reinstall Mint-I recently upgraded to an LCD monitor, and whenever I tried to load Mint (KDE 5 and Felicia 6) I would get an "Out Of Range" error message. When I tried to do the alternate install, my system would just lock up with a black screen.

I went and burned the .iso for Ubuntu Studio alternate install and it worked like a charm. Maybe the Mint team should see about adding a "Text Based" installer for folks without an additional graphics card? I'll keep watching the Mint Forums as it's so much easier to get a straight answer here than the Ubuntu forums....LOL!

If you could suggest the text based installer to Clem, I'd appreciate it.

-Steve
WSiaB

Post by WSiaB »

I actually use Ubuntu 8.04 and am having the same problem with my Logitech wired USB keyboard. It works in the BIOS but I can't log in with it. Nothing has changed on the system for at least a week. I do know Linux is partially recognizing it since when I start VIrtualBox and I have the option of passing this USB device to the VM (which fails at the VM level).

Return to “Hardware Support”