Adobe Flash 10

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Adobe Flash 10

Post by exploder »

You could install the adobe-flash-plugin, it is in the default repos. The package showed up as an upgrade in Synaptic and I have it installed and it works fine. There should be no dependency issues installing this way. I have no idea why the package was renamed but it is Flash 10 final. This is all I can think of to try.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

I just checked, & it's not there. I assume you're using Elyssa? I'm using Daryna....
exploder wrote:You could install the adobe-flash-plugin, it is in the default repos. The package showed up as an upgrade in Synaptic and I have it installed and it works fine. There should be no dependency issues installing this way. I have no idea why the package was renamed but it is Flash 10 final. This is all I can think of to try.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Yes, sorry... I am using Elyssa. Does the package show up if you enable the backports repo? There has got to be a way to get this fixed.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

I don't think I can do that. I opened Synaptic, & checked the repo list, but the backports are greyed out.
exploder wrote:Yes, sorry... I am using Elyssa. Does the package show up if you enable the backports repo? There has got to be a way to get this fixed.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Ok, I managed to add the backports, & I'm installing updates. I'll see if I can install Flash 10....
Sasafrass452 wrote:I don't think I can do that. I opened Synaptic, & checked the repo list, but the backports are greyed out.
exploder wrote:Yes, sorry... I am using Elyssa. Does the package show up if you enable the backports repo? There has got to be a way to get this fixed.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Flash 10 still did not show up in Synaptic. I tried installing it manually, but there's still a conflict as I mentioned in an earlier post. Now what?
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

I reinstalled Flash 9, but it's not working. Firefox doesn't see it. HELP!!!!!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Have you looked at the multimedia guide on the Ubuntu forums? There might be a clue to the problems you are experiencing here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Compare the packages you have installed to the command given in the guide. There has to be some sort of difference on your specific system. This is the section that is compatible with the version of Mint you have installed.

32-Bit Ubuntu Users:

sudo apt-get remove gnash gnash-common libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install alsa-oss faac faad flashplugin-nonfree gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10-pitfdll libavcodec-unstripped-51 libmp3lame0 non-free-codecs sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unrar

There has to be an answer for this issue and maybe a comparison of the installed packages to what the guide is instructing will reveal some answers.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

I don't know what packages were installed when I got the updates, there were too many to remember. I tried installing the packages you mentioned below, but that didn't help. I really need to get Flash working, so if there's anything else I can try, please let me know!
exploder wrote:Have you looked at the multimedia guide on the Ubuntu forums? There might be a clue to the problems you are experiencing here.

Compare the packages you have installed to the command given in the guide. There has to be some sort of difference on your specific system. This is the section that is compatible with the version of Mint you have installed.

32-Bit Ubuntu Users:

sudo apt-get remove gnash gnash-common libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install alsa-oss faac faad flashplugin-nonfree gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10-pitfdll libavcodec-unstripped-51 libmp3lame0 non-free-codecs sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unrar

There has to be an answer for this issue and maybe a comparison of the installed packages to what the guide is instructing will reveal some answers.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Please do not take this the wrong way, and I am not meaning to be disrespectful at all. I have seen you struggling with this issue for weeks now. If the suggestions and posts in the forum have not worked on your machine, you may have to take a slightly stronger approach. I hope that you are able to get your machine up and running. These suggestions can go for anyone who has difficult issues.

Instead of continuing to suffer with one issue, in about 15 minutes you can have a completely new installation of Mint. Copy those few important files you need to save onto a flash drive or save them any way you please. Then, you can pop in Mint 4, 5, or even 6 RC1. Do the regular install. Unless you have special needs, there is not a compelling reason to pull in any of those Level 3 updates. It might be good to stick with just Level 1 and 2. That should give you a stable and fully-functional desktop. Drop your files on the new install, make your slight appearance adjustments, and you should be a completely happy camper in under 30 minutes.

As I said, I am not meaning to be disrespectful, but sometimes a quick clean install can cure what ails anyone's machine. Good luck.
Last edited by rivenought on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Ok, I got it working by following the instructions further down on the guide you pointed me to. Thankyou SOOO much!!
exploder wrote:Have you looked at the multimedia guide on the Ubuntu forums? There might be a clue to the problems you are experiencing here.

32-Bit Ubuntu Users:

rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Ah, while I was writing the above post in concern for your issue, I see you finally got a method to work. That is most excellent. At least that saved you a clean install. My suggestions are still valid for future reference in case your machine decides to blow a gasket for some unknown reason. Have fun.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Thankyou for your concern. Yes, I wanted to avoid a clean install right now, since Mint 6 will be released soon & I plan to do a clean install then.
rivenought wrote:Ah, while I was writing the above post in concern for your issue, I see you finally got a method to work. That is most excellent. At least that saved you a clean install. My suggestions are still valid for future reference in case your machine decides to blow a gasket for some unknown reason. Have fun.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Sasafrass452, I am just glad flash is working for you again!

Return to “Software & Applications”