Trojan Phishing Malware on Linux?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Trojan Phishing Malware on Linux?

Post by g0lrk »

Just got sent an article by a friend who is on windows, and he took great pleasure in telling me that a company called Bitdefender has detected some malware that they are saying affects windows and Linux users?
More information here http://www.itproportal.com/articles/200 ... efox-add-/
It doesn't go in to great detail about Linux but just mentions it.
I'm just a bit concerned about what is the best course of action? So anyone help me and tell me please?
Thanks.
Kevin.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Trojan Phishing Malware on Linux?

Post by Husse »

Not on Linux but on Firefox :)
This is from the article you linked to
The attack is likely to affect all current versions of Firefox (including Minefield) and across most platforms (Windows and Linux) as it uses Javascript to operate.
I can't say often enough - use NoScript and only allow a really small number of sites to use javascript. That should make you safe - unless one of the sites you allow is infected
But yes, as long as the crap stays and works in home it is possible.....
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

Thanks very much Husse.
I'll just have to be very careful then what sites I go and just go on my normal ones.
Cheers.
Kevin.
Fred

Post by Fred »

g0lrk,

Using the "NoScript" add-on in Firefox will prevent you from being affected or infected by this, as Husse said above.

Fred
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bobpur »

I had a Ubuntu 8.04 machine wrecked by something called "Antivirus2008." None of the nasty stuff got in but those annoying pop-ups telling me my "Windows" machine was infected and offering to find the trouble with a free scan that showed dozens of infections and made the money pitch to fix the problem. Nothing would get rid of the pop-ups except a complete re-write of the Linux OS. Someone with more computer savvy than myself might have fixed it without a re-write.

I don't know if this is true or not, but this "antivirus" program and its other incarnations is supposed to originate in the middle east. It is meant to get your money and your bank info to further drain your account for the funding of terrorist activities. Or so the story goes.

Also, the name changes with the year. Ex.= "Antivirus2008" is now "Antivirus2009."
I was looking for an antivirus program for linux when "Antiviruus2008" showed up, it did so without any request from me. I guess I was in the right area and it came calling.

Watch for it. If I can find the original posts I'll make a link to them.
Husse

Post by Husse »

In this case I'm convinced it would have been enough to empty the browser (FF) cache
And be very careful when it comes to antivirus, use only the well known brands as this is the possibly worst source for malware

Return to “Beginner Questions”