What Linux filesystem do you use?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

ext2
4%
ext3
51%
ext4
15%
reiserfs
9%
jfs
15%
xfs
4%
other
2%

Total votes: 47

piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

I've only really used ext2, ext3, and reiserfs.

Lately I've been using reiserfs. It seems to perform better than ext3 and takes up less space, but it also seems to take longer to mount on boot up.

I'm a little curious of the advantages/disadvantages of the other filesystems.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: What Linux filesystem do you use?

Post by Fred »

piratesmack,

You might want to look into jfs. linuxviolin is a strong advocate of jfs and has made some very good points in the below thread. In fact, towards the end of this thread, (it's a long thread), there is a discussion of file systems that might interest you.

I generally use ext2 and ext3 even thought they both tend to have a few warts. Mainly because they are so well supported by most distros. I must say though that a default ext3 install for a notebook is a terrible idea. As far as I am concerned, I would never use ext3 on a notebook unless it is in writeback mode.

Fred
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Fred wrote:linuxviolin is a strong advocate of jfs and has made some very good points in the below thread.
Thanks for the reply

I can't seem to find this "below thread" though? I'll check again, maybe I'm just too tired to find it. It's 5am here and I'm downloading Mint 6 :D
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

All of them for different purposes.
Usually ext2 on my laptops though, and mainly xfs, jfs or reiserfs on my desktops and mainly xfs or jfs on the servers.
Some interesting reading about server fs...
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Fred

Post by Fred »

piratesmack,

lol... I am sorry my friend. It is either too late or too early, or possibly I am loosing what little mind I have left. Link is below. :-)

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 90&t=13480

Fred
davidfoley

Post by davidfoley »

Hi Guys,
I'm using ext3, find it great. I have large partition where I store my data which is ntfs. This is so that Windows can read the data also. It's a pin in the ass though because there are no permissions on ntfs. This makes life difficult in Linux. I'm gonna move everything to ext3 when I install Linux Mint 6, this is because I haven't used Windows in Weeks, and am gonna make the total move Linux.. No dual boot! If I need windows (unlikely), I have VirtuslBox :)

David, Wexford, Ireland :)
mercier

Post by mercier »

i use ext3 mainly because that is what most people use on linux.

i tried to learn about different filesystems, but didn't understand most of it...i don't think i could notice difference in performance between ext3 and xfs, for example. ext3 seems safe enough, and so far i had no problems.

also i remember reading that reiser guy got arested for murdering his wife...so it kind of put me off that one. :oops:
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

I miiiiight experiment with reiserfs myself but I'm keeping it well away from my husband's install. Don't want him getting any ideas.... :twisted:
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Fred wrote:piratesmack,

lol... I am sorry my friend. It is either too late or too early, or possibly I am loosing what little mind I have left. Link is below. :-)

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 90&t=13480

Fred
Thanks. I did a clean installation of Mint 6 and am using JFS right now. Now I can read linuxviolin's thoughts on it
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Fred wrote:piratesmack,

You might want to look into jfs. linuxviolin is a strong advocate of jfs and has made some very good points in the below thread. In fact, towards the end of this thread, (it's a long thread), there is a discussion of file systems that might interest you.

I generally use ext2 and ext3 even thought they both tend to have a few warts. Mainly because they are so well supported by most distros. I must say though that a default ext3 install for a notebook is a terrible idea. As far as I am concerned, I would never use ext3 on a notebook unless it is in writeback mode.

Fred
What's wrong with EXT3 on a notebook (which is what I am running)?
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

badmotor wrote:What's wrong with EXT3 on a notebook (which is what I am running)?
You may want to read the Fred posts at http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 90&t=13480 and at http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 58&t=12533... :roll: :idea:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

linuxviolin wrote:
badmotor wrote:What's wrong with EXT3 on a notebook (which is what I am running)?
You may want to read the Fred posts at http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 90&t=13480 and at http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 58&t=12533... :roll: :idea:
But but...... I'm trying to be LAZY.... :D

OK, I'll go read thread now. :|

Return to “Open Chat”