Google Chrome alternative

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Konomios

Google Chrome alternative

Post by Konomios »

Hi all!

I'm looking for a program that I can use in place of Google Chrome. On windows I use Chrome to run online programs that are Java applets. I use that browser because I can create an "application shortcut" which opens the webpage in a browser window that has no toolbars, menus or status bar. Also, as it is a separate program from my main (firefox) browser, any problems with Java wont affect my browsing. As far as I know a firefox extension wouldn't be able to do that.

So the short version of that is: I would like a light-weight web browser that can run Java applets and be customised to remove all but the webpage and title bar.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Google Chrome alternative

Post by proxima_centauri »

F11 in the interim.
Konomios

Post by Konomios »

I think I've found something that works. Prism from Mozilla (I found it's actually in the mint software manager... after all that searching). It creates a nice shortcut on my desktop and displays the url without loads of menu bars. Only thing is it does have one bar at the bottom, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose. :)
Konomios

Post by Konomios »

gravity0, yeah I love Firefox 3 which is why it is my main browser. Unfortunately all the windows run in the same process which can cause problems when Java crashes. Plus I'd probably need an extension to hide all the status bar, menu bar, etc.

simta!, Epiphany looks great! I googled a way to hide the menu bar and it turned out all I needed to do is find the setting in the gconf-editor. Thanks simta!

Return to “Software & Applications”