What happened to Gnome?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

What happened to Gnome?

Post by bigbearomaha »

:D

I like it!

It now has a desktop switcher. great! that's one of the main reasons I never liked to uses it.

Plus, with a little modification to toolbar placement, I hate it on the top. It is a knock out.

I am overwhelmed. I immediatly installed KDE upon installing Mint, used to the Gnome I didn't like. Now , after playing with it a bit. All I can say is WOW.

I may be a Gnome convert with this. Although with certain KDE apps installed. :lol:

Big Bear
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

I have to agree. I usually hate Gnome, but somehow in Mint it seems more responsive and better overall. I installed Mint thinking that Gnome would survive about long enough for me to confirm if everything works or not and that I would install KD, but it's still here.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

I like it!
After test-driving a dozen or so Linux distros, over the past 3 weeks, I got to a point where I just didn't want to look at another KDE desktop. I started actively seeking distros that default to GNOME, which led me to Mint.

The only KDE that doesn't make me wince is that of PCLinuxOS 2007. Whereas the typical K configuration looks (to me) like a video game masquerading as an operating system, the PCLOS implementation looks legit for any computing environment. Nicely done.

The thoughtful design in Mint's single GNOME taskbar panel is a winner. I hope we see something similarly sensible in Mint KDE.

----
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

I see your point in that it seems that a lot of distros don't put much thought into it and the result doesn't look to nice by default. An example of this is when distros just pile nonsense into the Kicker (the KDE "taskbar" )

The good thing about KDE is that it is more configurable by the user, so you can make it look almost anyway that you like. But that becomes a double-edge sword when people start complaining that it's too configurable and all the options are confusing. The options don't confuse me, but I've been using KDE since the last century, literally :lol:
I hope we see something similarly sensible in Mint KDE.
Oh, I'm sure of it 8) [/quote]

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”