Mint 6 - Still Cooking Laptop CPU's

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 6 - Still Cooking Laptop CPU's

Post by Dutchmaster »

I'm frustrated! I just installed Mint 6. Just like Ubiuntu Intrepid and its predecessors, the problem persists that is my #1 biggest complaint. I hear the sound of a fan running wide open to cool an already overheating laptop - and I just rebooted it from a cold start install!

When oh when will Ubuntu-Mint-etc prioritize the endlessly running wide open cpu problem on laptops? I will not come near a distro that cooks my laptop. There are a zillion posts on this and ubuntu's forums about this major showkiller bug. But it persists and persists release after release and never gets addressed.

Powernowd and it's friends in the repo are installed by default but are useless. I've seen no solutions offered in the forums that make a dent in this problem.

Note: It's not dust - rpm distros work perfectly with laptops. CPU throttling works fine on them.

Let me be clear: Mint is terrific and is my fav............... for my destkop. Maybe this can be solved by someone so laptops can use it too.

Is there any hope of solving this probem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Mint 6 - Still Cooking Laptop CPU's

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Dutchmaster wrote:I'm frustrated! I just installed Mint 6. Just like Ubiuntu Intrepid and its predecessors, the problem persists that is my #1 biggest complaint. I hear the sound of a fan running wide open to cool an already overheating laptop - and I just rebooted it from a cold start install!

When oh when will Ubuntu-Mint-etc prioritize the endlessly running wide open cpu problem on laptops? I will not come near a distro that cooks my laptop. There are a zillion posts on this and ubuntu's forums about this major showkiller bug. But it persists and persists release after release and never gets addressed.

Powernowd and it's friends in the repo are installed by default but are useless. I've seen no solutions offered in the forums that make a dent in this problem.

Note: It's not dust - rpm distros work perfectly with laptops. CPU throttling works fine on them.

Let me be clear: Mint is terrific and is my fav............... for my destkop. Maybe this can be solved by someone so laptops can use it too.

Is there any hope of solving this probem?

I cannot address your problem, as I did not even realize this problem existed until just now! Saying "laptops" is a bit of a blanket statement dont you think? I have Mint 5 and 6 running on several laptops both Intel and AMD and it runs just fine. No overheating, no fans going crazy...Everything normal here.

I am not saying you do not have a problem, one must obviously exist. But maybe you are stuck using a different distro? Does debian exhibit the same problem? Ubuntu does strange things to the kernel sometimes, maybe try the mint 6 debian release? If not then why waste time, just learn Fedora or Slack or something that will work.
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dutchmaster »

Sorry about the generalization. That was wrong for sure.

re overheating - other than PCLinuxOS - most others I've tried have been ok. It's a picky laptop and has some problem running most distros, but Mandriva, OpenSuse, and Sidux seem to be the best overall so far - all with no overheating.

my specs are Averatec AV7170 with 2gb ram, AMD64, and Nvidia GoForce 6100 video.

A search this problem in either forum reveals many positive hits. There have been a ton of suggestions made, but no solutions that made it calm down.

Once again, I apologize for my mess up.

Post by Guest »

Had a problem on my computer too unless I kept my windows open in december fans went full blast(sadly I kept my windows open until I went for an actual fix)
I fixed it through a bios option.

I'm thinking that it was some windows software previously controlling my fans and that when installing linux they just weren't setup . So check your bios option to see if you can edit any settings to control fans, the setting for me was pretty obvious something that explicitly said fans quiet or loud but the bios options varies greatly between computers so... could be anything for you.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
Not sure if you are using Kde OR Gnome, but on my KDE box,
I loaded cpufrequtils and Kpowersave, and can set perfomance
using Kpowersave. Before this it was always running at 2.6GHz, now idles at 1Ghz rising to 2.6GHz when needed.

(Dual Core AMD 5Ghz)

Nick
jpe30

Post by jpe30 »

If it is an Intel CPU maybe try running http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/
spooky1Z

Post by spooky1Z »

I think maby you have misdiagnosed the problem, just becuase the fans run fast does not mean the laptop is over heating...

put your hand under your laptop and feel the bottom side... is it hotter than it should be ?

i have a dell xps gaming laptop.. it has 4 fans... under windows...they dont run well enough.... without installing I8FANGUI to control them
but in MINT 5 THEY RUN AT 4500 RPM WHICH IS FAST, BUT NOT MAX..... AND THE UNIT STAYS NICE N COOL....

IF YOU ARE ACTUALLY OVERHEATING THEN THE PROBLEM IS MINT ISNT ADDRESSING YOUR BIOS FAN CONTROL... SEND IN THE
MAKE AN MODEL TO THE HUSSE GUY..TELL HIM TO FIX IT ASAP...
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dutchmaster »

I found this in the Ubuntu forums.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... verheating

It did the trick for me. Running cool as can be now.

Thanks, Mstipic for your help.
I edited configuration file in /etc/modules. I added these lines:
battery
ac
processor
thermal
acpi-cpufreq
cpufreq-userspace

Then I installed tool kpowersave, enabled it at startup and set dynamic processor usage.
Nevart

Post by Nevart »

Dutchmaster wrote:I found this in the Ubuntu forums.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... verheating

It did the trick for me. Running cool as can be now.

Thanks, Mstipic for your help.
Is this also recommended for desktop systems? What about if the CPU is not overheating, does it give you extra protection & performance anyway, or will it just consume unnecessary resources?

Return to “Software & Applications”