Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Re: Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by Husse »

@ ianki
Do you have a lot of partitions?
There was a bug in Ubiquity (the installer) for Elyssa/Hardy that still may be there that caused the install to silently fail at 94% leaving it with no grub installed but all the rest correctly installed. About 9 partitions was too many...
Check your hard disk - if you find a Felicia partition you could use supergrub to install grub - you don't get the nice Mint grub but it should work
ahogg

Post by ahogg »

lonegranger wrote:EnvyNG seems to be broken so I can't load the drivers for my nvidia graphics cards. It was fine in Mint 5.
When I installed Mint 6, it did not appear to have EnvyNG at all. But when you go into control panel, and click on hardware drivers, the proprietary drivers dialogue pops up, and asks you to install Nvidia or Ati drivers. It doesn't appear to be done with Envy any longer. Just scroll down to the recommended restricted driver and select it for activation. I am running a GeForce 9400GT Nvidia card, and version 177.82, the recommended driver, seems to work fine. I notice some ghost images from time to time when I minimize and maximize various windows, but other than that, it seems to be relatively stable. I don't consider myself a power user, so other issues may present themselves depending on your demand for 3D graphics rendering.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Envy is there - just not with a GUI only in the terminal (we had to skip the GUI because it would use up to much space on the CD)
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

Brasero?

Some of the options don't show up consistently.

Example: I open brasero and near the bottom where it lets you choose the kind of disc you are trying to make, some times it only gives data or media. Other times it gives all options, including ISO. It's the same with speed. Sometimes it gives only 40 or 32, other times it includes all speeds. And also with the little extra options, sometimes it shows all four of them, other times it only shows one or two.

Is anyone else having this issue or is there an update to fix this?
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

I had problems with burning the iso with it. Exploder mentioned that the removed site had newer releases and that one of them fixed his problems. Too soon to tell for the sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't for my 64 bit Elyssa.
psi-jack

Re: Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread - Partially SOLVED

Post by psi-jack »

Handyman wrote:
alanstanley wrote: 1. Skype - am unable to get the audio input working, in-spite of trying all possible combinations of configurations within Skype and the audio devices available. I managed to get it working in Ubuntu 8.10 but the identical configuration doesn't work in Felicia.
I'm also having trouble with Skype. When Skype is running it completely disables my sound in other apps. Sounds works fine when Skype is shut down. I tried reinstalling Skype after deleting the app and hidden .Skype folder. Same problem after reinstalling.
I have learned ALSA + PulseAudio or even just purely ALSA alone, is proving over constant time to be unreliable at all, especially with inputs for sure. Since 4Front re-opened OSS, I've since switched to OSS 4.1 as per instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSound Ironically, all sound miraculously works (for the most part, once you get rid of anything using strictly alsa or pulseaudio, and change those used pulseaudio or alsa, like gdm.). Get Skype from skype.com, fetching the Static-OSS version, works perfect.

I have sent Linus an email discussing this very fact, and how OSS (version 3 at least) is deprecated in the kernel core, and asking his thoughts over OSS 4.x since it's now re-opened. I think bringing it back will solve a lot of problems. I've never had the best support in ALSA for anything. Something ALWAYS doesn't work the way it should.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

sarahmarienc wrote:Brasero?

Some of the options don't show up consistently.

Example: I open brasero and near the bottom where it lets you choose the kind of disc you are trying to make, some times it only gives data or media. Other times it gives all options, including ISO. It's the same with speed. Sometimes it gives only 40 or 32, other times it includes all speeds. And also with the little extra options, sometimes it shows all four of them, other times it only shows one or two.

Is anyone else having this issue or is there an update to fix this?
-----------------------------

Hi,
My personal opinion:

Clem erred by including Brasero in this version of Gnome Main Edition "Felicia" 6. He was warned about it during the test period. At that time I really
thought the errors were repaired but were not. At least for me and some others who are complaining about it. I will banish it altogether from the system.
This is my only dissatisfaction with the Gnome Main Editon 6 "Felicia". I will replaced it with K3B or later try a new version of Brasero (from removed)

Regards
Roberto :?:

Ok. I edited this post just to say i downloaded and installed from removed (through mintInstall) the
new version of BRASERO - 0.8.4 .deb - Now with a new GUI

Burned an audio CD (from mp3) and it worked fine for me.
A small bug i noticed is when you insert a Blank CDR with capacity 1h 20m -80m - 700mg ,
Brasero always shows it as 1h 10m. But no problem because it does the right job.

Burned an small iso of Debian (netinst) 161mg -. Ok it (burned it) right.
Note: Edit > plug ins , enable to verify checksum

Not tested any data project yet. and other options. Well, i am happy :D i could get rid of that
bad Brasero 0.8.2 old version shipped with Linux Mint 6 Gnome Main Edition "Felicia"
:wink:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Rob Brill , Brasero was a problem in Mint 5 and 6. I am glad you posted your results with 0.8.4. The issues with Brasero in both releases was upstream, thank goodness for the removed Team! Again I appreciate your sharing your results with everyone.

I use Mint 5 Main Edition and was unable to burn DVD iso files with the version of Brasero that was included with the release. I worked around the problem with the built in gnome burning application until the removed Team released 0.8.3 for Hardy 32 bit. I turned off the plugins and everything is working now.

The bugs we are discussing are upstream bugs from our Ubuntu base. Hundreds of us reported these bugs to Ubuntu Developers and you see the result. This is what happens when your release schedule is more important than the quality of what is released. You will find that Ubuntu is not the only distribution that has issues with Brasero, OpenSuse 11.1 can't do a thing with DVD-RWs! You would think that Ubuntu would put the new version of Brasero in the main repository to fix the problem but they wont, it will end up eventually in the backports repo and maybe people will find it.

These are the type of fixes we need to have as stickies so everyone that is having these problems can get them resolved. I actually e-mailed the removed Team to thank them for their work. Rob Brill, thanks for posting your results with the updated package.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi exploder,

Thank you for being patiente, polite and by the explanation about
Brasero versions.
I wish you and to your family Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Regards
Roberto
jwdeitch

Post by jwdeitch »

Hi,

1)Mint 6 installed on a Dell Latitude D600 laptop might cause the mouse to click randomly when typing, regardless if you even touch the trackpad or not. To fix this, disable the trackpad and use the nub thing on the keyboard or buy a mouse.

2) some flash videos are extremely choppy!

thanks
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

This will take care of that.

Try turning off these security settings in Firefox.

Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected attack site
Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery
jwdeitch

Post by jwdeitch »

exploder wrote:
This will take care of that.

Try turning off these security settings in Firefox.

Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected attack site
Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery
hi,

thanks for the reply. I have done as you suggested but it isn't working

i am using
http://socom.us.playstation.com/
as a reference.
(videos on that page)
thanks
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

jwdeitch, I just tried the videos on the site you provided and they played for me. Here are the packages I have installed.

adobe-flashplugin 10.0.15.3-1
flashplayer-nonfree 9.0.21.78-3v1
libflashsupport 1.9

I am running Elyssa but these packages should be common to Felicia as well. I use the above mentioned tweak so flash plays smooth. I also turn off Compiz while watching flash video. Let me know if any of this information helps.
Panpan

Post by Panpan »

Hello everybody

I recently installed Linux Mint (Felicia) and everything was fine until recently where Firefox started covering the taskbar, with no window bar on top (where the minimize/maximize/close buttons are). I was able to fix this by pressing F11 like some have stated in this thread, but now if I minimize any window, it won't go in the desktop taskbar, and the only way to access it again is with alt+tab.

I didn't really mess with any setting, except for trying to reset the compiz config to default. Also, I think this bug appeared after I watched a few videos on youtube.

Finally, I would like to know if there is a way to disable the internal computer beeping that Linux makes when I press some keys on my keyboard, or when I click shutdown/restart in the menu.

I have been enjoying this OS very much until I ran into those two irritating bugs, and I really hope they can be fixed...

Thank you
owen1978

Post by owen1978 »

Hi

would like to post my bug

I have got two disks in my pc;

disk1 - 50/50 XP & Mint
disk2 - NTFS (used to store data, from my XP system)

The problem being, Mint does not Auto Mount disk 2, instead i have go to Computer on desktop and then
double click on disk 2 icon which gives the following error;

Unable to Mount Location
Internal Error: No Mount object for mounted volume

I then click ok on the pop error message box, it then mounts the volume onto my desktop!

I have seen several other people say that the have the same problem, has it been resolved or is it still a bug?
changturkey

Post by changturkey »

owen1978 wrote:Hi

would like to post my bug

I have got two disks in my pc;

disk1 - 50/50 XP & Mint
disk2 - NTFS (used to store data, from my XP system)

The problem being, Mint does not Auto Mount disk 2, instead i have go to Computer on desktop and then
double click on disk 2 icon which gives the following error;

Unable to Mount Location
Internal Error: No Mount object for mounted volume

I then click ok on the pop error message box, it then mounts the volume onto my desktop!

I have seen several other people say that the have the same problem, has it been resolved or is it still a bug?
Could be an NTFS 3G bug, but not really sure.
jwdeitch4

Post by jwdeitch4 »

Panpan wrote:Hello everybody

I recently installed Linux Mint (Felicia) and everything was fine until recently where Firefox started covering the taskbar, with no window bar on top (where the minimize/maximize/close buttons are). I was able to fix this by pressing F11 like some have stated in this thread, but now if I minimize any window, it won't go in the desktop taskbar, and the only way to access it again is with alt+tab.

I didn't really mess with any setting, except for trying to reset the compiz config to default. Also, I think this bug appeared after I watched a few videos on youtube.

Finally, I would like to know if there is a way to disable the internal computer beeping that Linux makes when I press some keys on my keyboard, or when I click shutdown/restart in the menu.

I have been enjoying this OS very much until I ran into those two irritating bugs, and I really hope they can be fixed...

Thank you
this is caused by javascript on some websites.
you can fix it by very slightly resizing the window, and by not maximizing firefox.
jwdeitch5

Post by jwdeitch5 »

Mint really needs more work with the flash in the browser plugins.
Very rarely do videos actually work, either they are choppy, or they stop the video, which is very annoying when listening to a song, and you have to go back and try to find your place again.

please please please fix flash !!!
jwdeitch6

Post by jwdeitch6 »

i just started up firefox, and all my bookmarks are GONE and i can't add any more bookmarks. i click the star and nothing happens!!!
Panpan

Post by Panpan »

jwdeitch4 wrote:this is caused by javascript on some websites.
you can fix it by very slightly resizing the window, and by not maximizing firefox.
Hmm, maybe I have not been clear enough. The problem is that windows don't appear in Linux Mint's taskbar anymore. As you can see on the screenshot below, there is no tabs in the taskbar even though there is 3 different applications already opened... pretty annoying

Thanks for your help

Return to “Releases & Announcements”