Anyone Use Dream Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sarahmarienc

Anyone Use Dream Linux?

Post by sarahmarienc »

Don't worry, my heart is with you all.

Just looking for something interesting to play around with and maybe dual boot with Mint. How similar are they? How different are they?

It looks easy on the eyes. Is it?

I'm actually curious about the xfce version. I know Mint has an xfce version but I like Gnome and don't want to mess with it.

Maybe I should just download it and burn the Live CD and run it Live. If it turns out to be a nice fit, it may be something I'll put on another computer in the house when we get a new screen for it.

Pros? Cons? Opinions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
badmotor

Re: Anyone Use Dream Linux?

Post by badmotor »

Yep, I use it (as well as Mint of course) and I really like it. Using 3.5RC4 at the moment and can't wait until 3.5 final comes out. XFCE is more stripped down than Gnome (obviously), but it still has everything I need and there are nice things about it like right-clicking on the screen brings up the entire menu. It is fast, and the Engage dock-bar is nice looking and doesn't need compiz to run so you have a quick machine.

The icons are very nicely designed, and the login screen is beautiful. Installing codecs are done with the click of one button. There is the odd con, like you have to click through about 3 windows to adjust some of the appearances, but overall I like it. XFCE is not for everyone, but you should defintely try it out - helpful community too.

Incidentally, the best DVD playback I have ever had has been in Dreamlinux in Totem - better than XP or Vista.
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

badmotor wrote:Yep, I use it (as well as Mint of course) and I really like it. Using 3.5RC4 at the moment and can't wait until 3.5 final comes out. XFCE is more stripped down than Gnome (obviously), but it still has everything I need and there are nice things about it like right-clicking on the screen brings up the entire menu. It is fast, and the Engage dock-bar is nice looking and doesn't need compiz to run so you have a quick machine.

The icons are very nicely designed, and the login screen is beautiful. Installing codecs are done with the click of one button. There is the odd con, like you have to click through about 3 windows to adjust some of the appearances, but overall I like it. XFCE is not for everyone, but you should defintely try it out - helpful community too.

Incidentally, the best DVD playback I have ever had has been in Dreamlinux in Totem - better than XP or Vista.
Thanks! Nice fair review. I've been curious about xfce for a while. Did you see that you can overlay gnome with your DreamLinux Xfce 3.5 RC 4? Have you tried it? Sounds interesting. It's done with command from what I can tell. Codecs with the click of a button huh? That's a pretty neat option. I'm downloading the ISO now. Hopefully will get to use the Live CD tonight. I think xfce might be more of the variation for my husband if he were to ever switch to linux, which is why I want to try it. So that if he ever lets me switch him over, I can help him :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have tried Dream Linux a couple of times, they do a nice job using Debian.I look at tons of Linux Distributions! It is really interesting seeing how different developer's build a system. Dream Linux imitates the look of the Mac OS and it is a lot of fun checking it out!
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Yeah, sure - give it a shot. I think they are on to a good thing - 3.5 has really upped the ante for them. XFCE is so simple to use, I'm sure your husband will enjoy it - I think I will try the Gnome version once 3.5 final comes out (due before end of December, but the best thing is they have the old "it's done when it's done" approach, so you know it will be done properly). Considering (just like Mint) there are so few developers involved, they do top work.

I will be taking my laptop away for Christmas holiday knowing I can play DVD's really well for my daughter (in a Beta version no less) of Dreamlinux.

At the end of the day, I think the Linux communities (Mint, Dreamlinux especially) that work so hard on everything really need to be commended (sorry - bear with me, I've had a couple of glasses of red wine) need to be held up in high regard. Doing such good work for small reward, and so many of us benefit greatly. The likes of the Fedora community who do so much good work - I don't like to use Fedora personally, but what they develop ends up downstream and benefits all of us. Even I have the odd complaint, but really I am proud of the good work being done here and in the Linux community in general.
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

badmotor wrote:Yeah, sure - give it a shot. I think they are on to a good thing - 3.5 has really upped the ante for them. XFCE is so simple to use, I'm sure your husband will enjoy it - I think I will try the Gnome version once 3.5 final comes out (due before end of December, but the best thing is they have the old "it's done when it's done" approach, so you know it will be done properly). Considering (just like Mint) there are so few developers involved, they do top work.

I will be taking my laptop away for Christmas holiday knowing I can play DVD's really well for my daughter (in a Beta version no less) of Dreamlinux.

At the end of the day, I think the Linux communities (Mint, Dreamlinux especially) that work so hard on everything really need to be commended (sorry - bear with me, I've had a couple of glasses of red wine) need to be held up in high regard. Doing such good work for small reward, and so many of us benefit greatly. The likes of the Fedora community who do so much good work - I don't like to use Fedora personally, but what they develop ends up downstream and benefits all of us. Even I have the odd complaint, but really I am proud of the good work being done here and in the Linux community in general.
couldnt have said it better myself!! two thumbs up!
frogimus

Post by frogimus »

Actually, I am here giving Mint the test drive after hearing all the glowing reviews for it on the DreamLinux forum :).

<looks around> Yep, Mint has done a super job with Gnome. It is nice to see a 'buntu derivative that runs lean and quick.

I think I've found the distro of choice for when I want to run Gnome instead of XFCE. Great job!!
tawan

Post by tawan »

Mint is superb but I'm checking out Dream now they do some things very nicely. (nothing to make me jump ship though)

I will report back with some observations as I play more..
badmotor wrote:...Doing such good work for small reward, and so many of us benefit greatly. ...but really I am proud of the good work being done here and in the Linux community in general.
yeah, i know you'd had a couple of glasses of wine but am sure you'd stand by those words :) It is wonderful what the linux gnu community do for us all, we are in their debt.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

frogimus wrote:Actually, I am here giving Mint the test drive after hearing all the glowing reviews for it on the DreamLinux forum :).

<looks around> Yep, Mint has done a super job with Gnome. It is nice to see a 'buntu derivative that runs lean and quick.

I think I've found the distro of choice for when I want to run Gnome instead of XFCE. Great job!!
It's not an Ubuntu derivative, it's based on Debian, not Ubuntu.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

I could not get wireless going at all! but it looked interesting ---- no wireless makes it a deal breaker. Too bad - I liked the dock and the xfce or whatever. But I need something that works. Forums seem quite dead re: help and responses.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

GrayWizardLinux wrote:I could not get wireless going at all! but it looked interesting ---- no wireless makes it a deal breaker. Too bad - I liked the dock and the xfce or whatever. But I need something that works. Forums seem quite dead re: help and responses.
I think most forums seem dead compared to this one :D but I have always had plenty of help on there. Haven't tried to get wireless happening though. The main thing I liked about Mandriva and Fedora was the fact wireless was running out of the box - if we can get that support happening with the Debian/Mint usability, we'll be onto a real winner!
frogimus

Post by frogimus »

Zero Prime wrote: It's not an Ubuntu derivative, it's based on Debian, not Ubuntu.
From the Felicia announcement
Introduction to Linux Mint 6 and new features:

Based on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex, Linux 2.6.27, Gnome 2.24...
But even so, Mint gets a partition on my drive
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

GrayWizardLinux wrote:I could not get wireless going at all! but it looked interesting ---- no wireless makes it a deal breaker. Too bad - I liked the dock and the xfce or whatever. But I need something that works. Forums seem quite dead re: help and responses.
I had the wireless issue as well. It looked nice and was fun to play with but wireless is essential.
frogimus

Post by frogimus »

Well, check it out next month (January) when the 3.5 official release hits the mirrors. Word is, they are switching to wicd for wireless. Funny thing about hardware, you never know which distro is gonna fit yours the best. I have Mandriva and Mint partitions, but I do most of my work in DL because everything works - from syncing my Bluetooth smartphone to having all the #!$$% proprietary codecs
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

frogimus wrote:
Zero Prime wrote: It's not an Ubuntu derivative, it's based on Debian, not Ubuntu.
From the Felicia announcement
Introduction to Linux Mint 6 and new features:

Based on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex, Linux 2.6.27, Gnome 2.24...
But even so, Mint gets a partition on my drive
I'm sorry, I thought you were referring to Dream Linux :)
nitehawk

Post by nitehawk »

I just got the live CD of Dreamlinux 3.2 (from linuxcd.org) and it's really very nice! I'm disappointed, however,...'cause I can't get it to install on my hard drive (hangs at 91% when installing grub). I searched (and posted) on their forum,....and see that others have had the same problem with DL 3.2. They suggest going to a certain site, and downloading the newer installer (guess the one that comes on the DL 3.2 has a glitch).....
But with my small dialup service,....downloading the installer just isn't feasible. {Alas.}
Well,....at least I have good ol' Mint. :roll:

EDIT: Finally got DL on the hard drive,...actually it's xfce desktop looks pretty good.
"Santa" brought me two nice used computers for Christmas, though,...and Linux Mint is for sure going on
the Dell 2.8Ghz--512ram--160 hard drive...... :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”