Video problem with new PC [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Video problem with new PC [Solved]

Post by vinoman »

I've just built a new PC. It has a ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus motherboard with a AMD X2 4600 CPU w/ 2GB RAM.
LG Super Drive and WD 250GB HDD. It's plugged into a Samsung Syncmaster 953 19" monitor

I'm having video problems with every distro I have. I wanted to install Fedora 10 off the install DVD but once it gets to the installer it hangs and goes nowhere. Mint, Ubuntu, both will boot up but the resolution says the correct 1440x900 but it's not that at all. And the monitor is hard to adjust. I've ran two other PCs with this monitor and never had this kind of problem. It must be the Nvidia nForce 430 video that having the problems. A couple times it mentioned noapic but that didn't really help.

I'd be happy to get any distro to install at this point. I have Mint already installed on another PC. So I thought I give Fedora a try.

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Video problem with new PC

Post by locutus »

Try running envyng and rebooting. envyng will install the latest nVidia driver and set your resolution.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

You need an alternate install. If it still won't boot after that, you need to edit your xorg.conf to dumb it down to vesa, then run envyng. Worst case = commandline compile of nvidia drivers.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Try Felicia. Newer kernel. Might work.

From nvidia's linux forum it looks like this hardware sucks rocks.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57791

Ubuntuforum doesn't offer much help:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=126550

Have you seen this?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvNetInstallation
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

I was able to install Fedora 10 and then install rpmfusion from rpmfusion.org
After reboot the nvidia drivers were installed and my monitor is sharp and clear. I already have Mint on two PCs, I wanted to give Fedora a try and its very smooth and fast. :)

Problem Solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”