Bluetooth

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ijolumut

Bluetooth

Post by ijolumut »

I want to send and receive files via bluetooth connection.
how to do that ?

I've plug it into usb bus, but I can't transfer any files. :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Bluetooth

Post by Husse »

I'm no expert in this field but you have to "pair" bluetooth devices before they can be used
garda

Post by garda »

1. Go to Control Center > Services (or System > Administration > Services).
2. Service Settings dialog should appear. Click 'Unlock' and enter your login password when prompted.
3. Put a check mark next to 'Bluetooth device management' and click Close.
4. Go to Control Center > Sessions (or System > Preferences > Sessions). The Sessions Preferences dialog should now appear.
6. Put a check mark next to 'Bluetooth Manager' and click Close.

You'll see a Bluetooth icon appear in the notification area. If not, try to log out and log back in.

Before you can transfer files using Bluetooth, you have to configure the BT stack daemon. Right-click on the Bluetooth icon and choose Preferences. Then adjust the settings:
1. Mode of Operation: Visible and connectable for other devices.
2. You may have to tinker with some of the options in the 'General' tab to make it behave the way you desire, but that's optional.

Once you're done with the Preferences dialog, right-click on the Bluetooth icon again but this time choose 'Browse device'. Make sure you've activated Bluetooth on your mobile device before clicking on the option, just to avoid confusion. The rest is self explanatory; this dialog is for pairing your mobile device with your BT dongle. Choose your mobile device from within the list and click Connect. You'll be asked to enter a passkey on the mobile device and computer.

Now you can conveniently browse your mobile device's filesystem as you would any other mounted local filesystems. That is, you open Nautilus, and you should see your mobile device name in the sidebar. To disconnect the phone from the dongle, right-click on your mobile device icon in Nautilus sidebar, and click Unmount from the pop-up menu.

Hope that helps.
beep_gr

Post by beep_gr »

garda wrote: > 1. Go to Control Center > Services (or System > Administration > Services).
> 3. Put a check mark next to 'Bluetooth device management' and click Close.
> 4. Go to Control Center > Sessions (or System > Preferences > Sessions). The Sessions Preferences dialog should now appear.
> 6. Put a check mark next to 'Bluetooth Manager' and click Close.
Hope that helps.

Where are these options???
I didn't find them...

Thanks...
garda

Post by garda »

I assume you're having difficulty to locate the Sessions and Services applets and you use the default Mint (Start) menu. You can quickly find each of these applets by clicking on the Mint menu and enter, sans the quotes, "sessions" and "services" respectively into the filter box. You can also perform the search in the Control Center window.
dillergaff

Post by dillergaff »

I too am having bluetooth problems, log in to my cell phone.

far as I know, settings are running, computer and phone seem to connect ok

but when I try to browse phone, I get the message
couldn't display "obex://[ phones address]"

I used to use pclinux os, it logged into phone and transfered, to my recall, I did no settings

needing the picture, I tried the live cd of the latest Suse 11.1 plugged in my dlink bluetooth adapter, up came the icon, i clicked browse phone, clicked copy folder, pasted to my hard drive. done

I do have a spare partition, could install Suse, but would rather not have to reboot to Suse to take a picture off my phone.

any ideas ?
beep_gr

Post by beep_gr »

garda wrote:I assume you're having difficulty to locate the Sessions and Services applets and you use the default Mint (Start) menu. You can quickly find each of these applets by clicking on the Mint menu and enter, sans the quotes, "sessions" and "services" respectively into the filter box. You can also perform the search in the Control Center window.

Ops... Temporary blindness...

Everything you mentioned are OK. Still the same problem...

Searching in many forums, Maybe it is kernel's problem.
The same problem is also in Ubuntu distro.

Any idea?
garda

Post by garda »

dillergaff wrote: but when I try to browse phone, I get the message
couldn't display "obex://[ phones address]"
I also got the same error message when a cousin of mine was attempting to pair his phone (a LG) with a shared computer here. Installing gnome-vfs-obexftp and reloading bluetooth-related modules and services got rid of it.
dillergaff

Post by dillergaff »

Just checked, gnome-vfs-obexftp and bluetooth are installed and running...
computer & phone seem to be linked ok, just can't 'browse files'
garda

Post by garda »

Sorry, I never had any complicated problem with Bluetooth. Hence I can not help any further.
But I think you're not alone. There are millions (just a guess) of other users who experience more or less the same problem as you do.

Click here to see what information Mr. Google has.

Again, I apologize for reverting you to Google.
Husse

Post by Husse »

And I have absolutely no experience what so ever with Bluetooth.....
I can't be of much help - sorry
dillergaff

Post by dillergaff »

the saga continues...

Today I loaded the Mint 6 live cd. Bluetooth connected as nice as can be, browse, download and upload.

So I clicked install, but it wants to resize this partition and install leaving Mint 5 and 6. I would just like to use the same partition and replace this OS.

OR, I have a blank fat 32 partition, format it ext3 and put it there. But the installer only lets me resize.

Guess I am getting off subject, perhaps I will start a new thread.
garda

Post by garda »

dillergaff wrote:...perhaps I will start a new thread.
Good point. I recommend you do that.
:mrgreen:

Return to “Hardware Support”