Keyboard shortcuts went poof

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Katzedecimal

Keyboard shortcuts went poof

Post by Katzedecimal »

You'd think I'd learn... I'm going to have to put a big post-it across my desk reading "ONE UPGRADE AT A TIME!!!" :lol:

Sooooo...... I installed the upgraded MintTools from the Romeo repository... which were MintUpdate, MintInstall, MintSystem and MintDesktop... annnnnnnd my keyboard shortcuts stopped working. Not merely fancy ones like Ctrl-Alt-Right for rotating the cube, but basics like Ctrl-C for copying. No other updates were performed as I've got Level 3s disabled.

I use a Kinesis Advantage keyboard, but Elyssa uses the generic 105-key (Intl) PC model for it. I've putzed around with a few settings but have been unable to fix the problem. (And it is a problem - I use this keyboard for a reason and all the mousing is really hard on my hands) Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Keyboard shortcuts went poof

Post by viking777 »

Just a thought here

Alt/F2 , 'gconf-editor' , Apps/Metacity/global_keybindings . Have a look and see that the shortcuts you need are not disabled. If they are then proceed as follows:

The example you quoted would be under the name : switch_to_workspace_right. Next to this click on 'value' and enter <Control><Alt>Right.

However this would not explain why Ctl/c doesn't work, so it may not be the correct answer.
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

Would it explain why Alt-F2 doesn't work either? :mrgreen: I'll find another way into the file (as soon as I wake up, it's -29C here right now and I'm hibernating :lol: ) and check it out. Under Keyboard Settings, none of my keybindings have changed, they just stopped working.

I'll mention that Elyssa has never acknowledged any of the topmost row Function keys (including Escape, PrintScr, ScrollLock or NumPad) on my Kinesis keyboard, so that doesn't concern me. It has, up 'til I installed those mint upgrades, acknowledged Ctrl, Alt, Super, and combinations using them like Ctrl-C, Alt-Tab, etc, so that does concern me. I'll find a way into that file and see what it says and report back. Thanks!
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

Okee-dokey, here we go. I got into gconf-editor and checked out all of the keybindings set into Metacity as default.

There is no consistency that I can tell. Some of the defined Function key bindings do work (such as Alt-F6), while others (such as Alt-F2 or Alt-Esc) do not. 'Switch workplace right' is defined as Ctrl-Alt-Right; this worked before and now does not. I can't find a section here that defines common keybindings like Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V; these did work but now do not.
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

The problem persists in Mint 6 Felicia but is not present in fresh Mint 5 Elyssa (ran it from liveCD) I hate to have to reinstall, I just got Elyssa mostly stable again... :evil:

Return to “Hardware Support”