encrypted harddrive?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: encrypted harddrive?

Post by Fred »

Bene wrote:
is it possible to set up a encrypted LVM during Linux Mint 6 setup and install the OS on it...
No, not the way you are thinking about. The current installer won't do it for you. It can be done after the install, but you will have to do it manually, the old fashioned way.

I would suggest you look at TrueCrypt. It is open source and peer reviewed. I think it is one of the best encryption routines out there for Linux.

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

bene,

What you said about TrueCrypt used to be true. It has come a long way in the last year or so. You can do on-the-fly encryption/decryption of entire partitions, including swap now. You can even hide an operating system in an encrypted volume so all that can be seen is a honey pot system. You wouldn't even be able to tell encryption was being used.

There may be a 64 bit version coming but it isn't here yet. As far as making Mint out of Ubuntu, it isn't quite that simple. There is a lot more to Mint than just the repos and default codec installations. If you know what you are doing you could try it but I fear you would wind up with the worst of both worlds as opposed to the best of each. What you would be trying to do is to duplicate the efforts of the Mint development team.

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

sockrebel,

I stand corrected. I thought it could handle an encrypted Linux partition now too. When I use it on notebooks I usually don't try to encrypt anything but data partitions anyway. I really don't care if the operating system can be seen. OSs are a dime a dozen. It is the data that is valuable and needs protecting.

Anyway, thanks for the correction. :-)

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”