System booting issues

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sosaudio1

System booting issues

Post by sosaudio1 »

I have LM5 on my Dell Dimension 2400. It has the dreaded Intel845 gfx card and I think it is using the 915 drivers...I say this because in order to boot of recent, I had to go to recovery mode...now get this....I don't need to do anything here but tell it to resume boot. So this of course boots in text mode and it tells me that the 915 drivers are not configured....does not stop booting here either...it continues on booting.....

Now....couple of questions, how do I need to configure that card...or....do I...reason is that when it boots, it is at the best res for my Dell 17" monitor.

Let us back up further. Upon installing LM5 on the Dell, when I booted, I didn't get the progress bar splash screen. It would start normally and you could see the hard drive working, you could see it seek out the floppy and then the log in screen. While this is going on....screen is black....I wanted to see that progress bar splash screen so I installed Start-Up Manager which allows me to set resolution for the progress bar splash and therefore, see it. It worked for a bit...now I get, this:

Normal start normal Kernel
(at this point you can see the LCD going thru different changes in resolution...nothing fancy....you just see the LCD cycle)
Next progress bar splash (resolution set at 1024X768 by 8bit to get it to start without the out of parameter error screen
So now we watch the progress, goes through and then we go to a black screen and it hard locks

Power off by power button, restart by power button, select recovery mode....text start....screen asking what I want to do...select resume start-up. Text boot still and then...voila....login screen and best screen resolution.

My question is....what is causing it to lock up? Would getting the 915 config fix that? Is there a problem with start-up manager?

Thanks for any and all help you can give here.....incidentally, this is the reason why I am not running LM6. Can't get the LiveCD to boot to install...again....Error with Ibex (Ubu 8.10) so I wonder if the two problems are inter-related.

Soo sorry for the long post but I want to get this system at 100% or as close to it as I can.

Sort of a double post, but I think I put this post in the wrong place at first anyway...LOLOL

Thanks
Rich
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sosaudio1

Re: System booting issues

Post by sosaudio1 »

anybody?

I am beginning to think this is an ACPI problem considering how the resume normal boot works....It may also be with all the switching to different resolutions that the gfx card is getting locked and locking up....but I dont know if this would account for the total sys hard lock....

Return to “Beginner Questions”