Install failure "I/O error on device sr0"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Install failure "I/O error on device sr0"

Post by Husse »

The first error message is about a faulty CD or DVD drive
The second tells us that the file system in the RAM-disk has not been built - hardly surprising
I think it's a bad burn
Burn again at the lowest speed possible
(if you use Brasero in Intrepid this may be the cause)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
raffraffraff

Post by raffraffraff »

Husse wrote:The first error message is about a faulty CD or DVD drive
The second tells us that the file system in the RAM-disk has not been built - hardly surprising
I think it's a bad burn
Burn again at the lowest speed possible
(if you use Brasero in Intrepid this may be the cause)
I'm having the same problem. The MD5sum of my downloaded ISO is correct. I have burned two CDs on 8x, which is the slowest speed available to me in Brasero. My recorder is, to my knowledge, working perfectly. Ii recently burned Ubuntu 8.10 and PCLinuxOS ISOs and they work perfectly. I have also been backing up files to DVD, and these are also perfect. So why is Mint so sensitive?
raffraffraff

Post by raffraffraff »

You also say that using Brasero on Intrepid may be the cause. Can you elaborate on this?
Husse

Post by Husse »

raffraffraff wrote:You also say that using Brasero on Intrepid may be the cause. Can you elaborate on this?
It turns out that the version of Brasero in Felicia and so Intrepid has some serious problems and can't produce a bootable CD from an ISO. You have to go to removed and get the latest version. You find more if you search the forum for Brasero and the user name exploder.
Grinz

Post by Grinz »

Solved: The problem is with the burnt CD. I used Power ISO to burn my first three images and all had the problem. Using Roxio CD Creator solved the problem and the installation worked just fine with no error messages.
Husse

Post by Husse »

And in Linux you should have at least version 0.9.something for Brasero
ocasey79

Post by ocasey79 »

i had similar error, and it only went away when i installed distro on to ide hard drive and unplugged sata hard drive during install.
Seemed to be sum error reading the sata drive.
After install i plugged back in my sata hdd and it was able to mount it for full access no problem.

Also 1.) check disks boots on otehr machine to eliminate bad cd
2.) try different cd player

After some small issues really gettin the hang of this fine distro,
its a slimmer sexier version of ubuntu

Return to “Installation & Boot”