do I need antivirus program?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gychang

do I need antivirus program?

Post by gychang »

coming from windows, weekly antivirus, spyware, etc all necessary in L Mint?

if yes, which program?

thanks,

gychang
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: do I need antivirus program?

Post by Fred »

gychang,

From a practical point of view the answer would be no. There have been a few viruses for Linux that have appeared from time to time and quickly disappeared. For a desktop Linux computer, your chances of getting struck by lightning are considerably higher than getting a virus.

I have been running a Linux desktop for over ten years and have never had a problem with a virus. This may change over time but as of today, you have nothing to fear from viruses.

Fred
gychang

Post by gychang »

aahhh, great to be in the Linux camp, no need for virus!!,

thanks, much. Like LInuxMint more all the time, aside my printer and workspace switcher working.

gychang
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I love it when some popup or ad slips through my defenses and proclaims to me that my system is virus infected, but that if I "click here" they'll fix it for me.

Return to “Beginner Questions”