Maybe a dumb question, but I really miss my Mint!!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steve9199

Maybe a dumb question, but I really miss my Mint!!

Post by steve9199 »

OK...I basically "tanked" my Mint 5 KDE desktop, and decided to install Mint 6. I have had no luck. I've tried both the regular install (locks up at the splash screen with the bar 98% of the way across) and the "safe gaphcs" install (locks up at Loading Gnome). Since that didn't work, I tried to reinstall my Mint 5 disk with the same results.

So on a whim, I downloaded Ubuntu Studio Alternate Install .iso disk and it installed without a hitch. Thinking it was a fluke I tried both the Mint 5 and Mint 6 disks...with the same failure.

Does Mint have a text-based installer similar to the one for Ubuntu? This would really help. If not, is there a way to install Mint from the Live CD when I'm booted into a Ubuntu desktop?

I really hope someone can help me. I miss the ease of working with Mint-

Thanks in advance..Steve

Hardware:

Dell Optiplex GX-260
Celeron 1.8 GHz CPU
2 GB RAM
19" Widescreen LCD monitor using onboard video port (Intel 80250 I think)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Maybe a dumb question, but I really miss my Mint!!

Post by DataMan »

I'd suggest re-downloading the Mint version(s) that you're interested in. Do the md5 checksum when you burn the iso. Also, do the "slow burn" as is commonly recommended.

I can't remember, but if the LiveCD version has a check CD option for the initial bootup, do that before booting the LiveCD.

Hope the above helps.

DataMan
steve9199

Post by steve9199 »

BlahBlah_X wrote:Mint does not include a text-based installer, but you can install Mint from Ubuntu with a tool called Lubi.

Check out this page: http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lubi.html

There are downloads and a guide. I am not sure if this will work with mint, but it might, so you should give it a try. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work, so you remove it (it won't wreck your drive because it doesn't use partitioning).

Nope...Unfortunately it doesn't "see" the mint .iso as a complete file, but rather it sees all the different folders within the .iso itself. I think I figured it out though. I added a widescreen LCD monitor to my computer and I think the Live CD doesn't recognize it so I get the lockup and black screen. THis weekend I'm going to reattach my CRT and see if I can install mint again, THEN attach my flatscreen.

Will keep you updated and if it works I'll forward the "bug" to Clem and the team.

-Steve
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I hope your idea works! My LCD monitor failed on me a couple of months ago and I have been using a CRT for now. I had problems getting a decent resolution but finally did get things usable again. I have done what you are suggesting in the past with success. My wife has an LCD that every version of Linux seems to hate. I hook her machine up to the CRT and do the install and then plug the LCD back in and it is good to go. I do have to change the resolution and make some minor adjustments but in the end everything works fine.
switch-blade

Post by switch-blade »

I believe I am having the same problem; however, I have not hosed my system -- so I am not desperate. I just recently installed Mint 5, and it installed great and works fine. I have read the "check the .iso and burn slowly" advice over and over again, so I tried that off the bat. The live CD got as far as the login screen, and that's it. When there should normally have been a desktop appearing, I got nothing but a black screen. Because I am a bit of a distro-hopper, I decided to give the new openSuSE 11.1 a whirl. I got pretty much the same results, save the black screen -- it flickered periodically with a jumble of colors.

I am not any sort of expert, but does that portend a problem with the latest version of Xorg not being compatible with my hardware? If so, is this something that can be worked around?

That's much in advance for any help that's proffered.
steve9199

Post by steve9199 »

switch-blade wrote:I believe I am having the same problem; however, I have not hosed my system -- so I am not desperate. I just recently installed Mint 5, and it installed great and works fine. I have read the "check the .iso and burn slowly" advice over and over again, so I tried that off the bat. The live CD got as far as the login screen, and that's it. When there should normally have been a desktop appearing, I got nothing but a black screen. Because I am a bit of a distro-hopper, I decided to give the new openSuSE 11.1 a whirl. I got pretty much the same results, save the black screen -- it flickered periodically with a jumble of colors.

I am not any sort of expert, but does that portend a problem with the latest version of Xorg not being compatible with my hardware? If so, is this something that can be worked around?

That's much in advance for any help that's proffered.

Well, I'm back on Mint 5 KDE. I removed my "el cheapo" LCD monitor and reattached the CRT, then booted from the Live CD...everything loaded just fine. After the installation, I reattached the LCD monitor and it recognized it and came up with zero issues. For some reason the live disks just don't like the inexpensive LCD monitors, and you get a black screen...even though you hear the sounds of the main page coming up.

Keep in mind I'm using the onboard video card in an older Dell Optiplex GX260. If you have an external PCI-E Video card you might be fine with an LCD monitor....but on older hardware, you're better off with a CRT until the install is finished.

-Steve

Return to “Installation & Boot”