Unstable Flash in Firefox

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Unstable Flash in Firefox

Post by Husse »

Unfortunately my advice is to turn off Compiz (Appearance > Visual effects > None)
Compiz and flash are known not to like each other
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tithis

Post by Tithis »

Flash is known to be unstable in Linux, there is really very little that you can do as far as I've seen.

The recently released flash for 64-bit Linux seems to be much more stable from what I've experienced and I've yet to seen it crash.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I agree with Husse and want to add that if you click the "reload the current page" button in Firefox, oftentimes that will fix the gray box issue. Try it and see if that method works for you instead of closing and reopening Firefox. I have gotten good results that way.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I had a similar problem in Elyssa. I just did a fresh install of Felicia (Main Edition) and things are now slightly different.

First, instead of a blank grey box, I get a box that replaces part of the original Flash video frame and has one of those spinning updating GIFs in the middle.

Second, and more importantly, the blanking out is occurring MUCH more often. When I was on Elyssa, Flash videos would turn into grey blank boxes if I'd been using Firefox for too long or had too many Flash videos open at one time. Now on Felicia, nearly every video I look at dies at least once while I'm watching it. I just installed an update to the flashplugin-nonfree package today hoping it would help, but no dice. :(

Any advice on how to make Flash more stable in Felicia (or Linux in general) would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
Husse

Post by Husse »

The solution given by McDuck is one that seems to work for a lot of people
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

I too had a problem with Flash. I will have to try this later.
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

Husse wrote:The solution given by McDuck is one that seems to work for a lot of people
Yes, it works. At least for me. Had problems occasionally with Flash-videos, now i don't. Cool. 8)

Return to “Sound”