Sound Problem- Felicia

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwatson512

Re: Sound Problem- Felicia

Post by kwatson512 »

If you'll go back and look at my earlier post, you'll note that my installation of Intrepid works, perfectly. Felicia doesn't. Mint is my favorite distro overall, so I rolled that partition back to Elyssa.

So the Ubuntu forum thread on fixing partial sound problems in Intrepid doesn't apply in this case.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Yes, I remember you mentioning that. I'm seriously thinking about switching over to Ubuntu.
kwatson512 wrote:If you'll go back and look at my earlier post, you'll note that my installation of Intrepid works, perfectly. Felicia doesn't. Mint is my favorite distro overall, so I rolled that partition back to Elyssa.

So the Ubuntu forum thread on fixing partial sound problems in Intrepid doesn't apply in this case.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Maybe you should add a partition to install Ubuntu - what version of ubuntu would that be? If you truly like Mint then it makes more since to roll back to Elyssa. It is another install anyway you slice it.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

I have Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex installed as a Live USB. On my laptop's HDD I triple-boot: Windows XP, Mint 5 Elyssa, and Fedora 10. Elyssa is a wonderful distro. All the multimedia stuff works, it automatically recognizes external monitors and adjusts resolution accordingly, sound works in flash, etc., and wireless networking functions adequately.

The main improvement *for me* in Ubuntu 8.10/Mint 6 is in networking. Network manager 0.7.0 combines wireless, CDMA, and VPN functionality, and latches on to my WPA encrypted networks much better than v0.6.6 (in Hardy/Elyssa).

However, I couldn't overcome the sound problems in Felicia (yes, I went through the entire Comprehensive Sound Solutions Guide on the Ubuntu Forum, tried installing ubuntu-restricted-extras, and going to OSS instead of Pulse/ALSA). Nothing worked, and I ended up breaking other sound functionality in the process. In addition, Felicia didn't recognize my external monitor's resolution, leaving me with 1024x768 everywhere--workable, but not optimum.

So I have Mint 5 on the laptop, and it does great with sound, multimedia, and various monitor resolutions--the only drawback is inconsistent wireless networking, especially in the mobile broadband device area. I have Ubuntu 8.10 on the stick when I need to use my Verizon Sierra AirCard 595 in areas where there's no WiFi, and it also does sound, multimedia, and multiple monitor resolutions well.

I am really puzzled as to why Felicia has the unique difficulties it has, when both Elyssa and Intrepid don't seem to have them.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

No thanx, I'd rather stick with one OS. I want to keep it simple....
newW2 wrote:Maybe you should add a partition to install Ubuntu - what version of ubuntu would that be? If you truly like Mint then it makes more since to roll back to Elyssa. It is another install anyway you slice it.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

It's interesting that you mentioned Elyssa works great with sound, however, I recall reading about an issue with either the startup or shutdown sound. Or am I mistaken? I think that's why I never used Elyssa, & waited for Felicia.
kwatson512 wrote:I have Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex installed as a Live USB. On my laptop's HDD I triple-boot: Windows XP, Mint 5 Elyssa, and Fedora 10. Elyssa is a wonderful distro. All the multimedia stuff works, it automatically recognizes external monitors and adjusts resolution accordingly, sound works in flash, etc., and wireless networking functions adequately.

The main improvement *for me* in Ubuntu 8.10/Mint 6 is in networking. Network manager 0.7.0 combines wireless, CDMA, and VPN functionality, and latches on to my WPA encrypted networks much better than v0.6.6 (in Hardy/Elyssa).

However, I couldn't overcome the sound problems in Felicia (yes, I went through the entire Comprehensive Sound Solutions Guide on the Ubuntu Forum, tried installing ubuntu-restricted-extras, and going to OSS instead of Pulse/ALSA). Nothing worked, and I ended up breaking other sound functionality in the process. In addition, Felicia didn't recognize my external monitor's resolution, leaving me with 1024x768 everywhere--workable, but not optimum.

So I have Mint 5 on the laptop, and it does great with sound, multimedia, and various monitor resolutions--the only drawback is inconsistent wireless networking, especially in the mobile broadband device area. I have Ubuntu 8.10 on the stick when I need to use my Verizon Sierra AirCard 595 in areas where there's no WiFi, and it also does sound, multimedia, and multiple monitor resolutions well.

I am really puzzled as to why Felicia has the unique difficulties it has, when both Elyssa and Intrepid don't seem to have them.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Yes, well Elyssa shuts down some processes before the shutdown sound can play, so I don't have shutdown sound. Small consolation with all the other great things about that distro. Startup sound, e-mail notification, sound in flash, everything else works.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Ah, yes.... that's definitely why I didn't use Elyssa. I know that seems silly, but I want EVERYTHING important to me to work.

Well, I guess I'll be going back to Ubuntu.... I sure hope I don't have the same issues!
kwatson512 wrote:Yes, well Elyssa shuts down some processes before the shutdown sound can play, so I don't have shutdown sound. Small consolation with all the other great things about that distro. Startup sound, e-mail notification, sound in flash, everything else works.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

FWIW, I don't think I have shutdown sound in Ubuntu 8.10, either. I really haven't noticed since that isn't important to me. I'll check next time I boot that OS.

Good luck.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Ok, please let me know ASAP. I'm already preparing to install it, so I need to know.
kwatson512 wrote:FWIW, I don't think I have shutdown sound in Ubuntu 8.10, either. I really haven't noticed since that isn't important to me. I'll check next time I boot that OS.

Good luck.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Sasafrass, I can confirm that I do not have shutdown sounds in Elyssa, Intrepid, or Fedora 10. I found this thread about Intrepid bugs and workarounds. Note the first entry regarding sound effects. It seems this may be a gnome issue, which would affect all the distros I'm using (except Elyssa).

I don't remember where I read that the shutdown issue was due to a shutdown sequence, but I'll keep looking. I do recall there was a configuration howto that changed that sequence, allowing shutdown sounds to play.

My priorities for sound are:
1) sound during media playback (DVDs, music files, streaming audio/video)
2) e-mail notification
3) login (so I can impress those around me with my non-Windows bootup, which is also much faster than theirs) :)

I don't really care about shutdown sound or other event sounds, but others do. I know they can be enabled, and I have a hunch it's easier in Elyssa than Felicia.

Of the distros I use, Mint 5 Elyssa was the easiest to configure for my needs. Hardware identification and configuration worked out of the box, and multimedia was also pre-configured. Second easiest was Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex. I installed ubuntu-restricted-extras after OS installation, and all the multimedia stuff worked. Everything works in Fedora 10, too, but I use that partition to experiment with various distros. I have had Mandriva, OpenSUSE, and now Fedora there. Everything works there, but I had to go through a little command line installation and configuration to get it like I like it.

Good luck. My suggestion would be to go with Elyssa (since you said you were already familiar with Daryna). IMHO that's a very user-friendly, polished distro. Happy Holidays!
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

I already installed libcanberra, but that didn't help. I think the root of the problem is whatever file that's responsible for event sounds as well as streaming audio/video sound, isn't written correctly. What file is it? I can post the text here, & you (or someone else) can tell me what needs to be edited to make it work. Thanx for letting me know about Intrepid. I won't install it unless I have no other options.
kwatson512 wrote:Sasafrass, I can confirm that I do not have shutdown sounds in Elyssa, Intrepid, or Fedora 10. I found this thread about Intrepid bugs and workarounds. Note the first entry regarding sound effects. It seems this may be a gnome issue, which would affect all the distros I'm using (except Elyssa).
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

*bump*
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

I got my sound working!! YEY!! I found the solution at this link, listed as "problem 6": http://www.ubuntugeek.com/common-proble ... grade.html
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Ok, the above solution works, however, I had to uninstall PulseAudio to make it "stick". But there's still one "fly in the ointment".... My startup sound is the default one, even though I selected my own clip. Also, my shutdown sound isn't working at all. I'll investigate further, perhaps I need to remove some other components of PulseAdio that are still installed. Stay tuned....
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Ok, I removed a few more things from pulseaudio, & my startup sound is working properly :) But my shutdown sound still does not :( Any ideas? Also, my email notification sound works again, but it gets cut off at the very end when it plays upon receipt of messages. Is there a way to fix this?
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Been traveling, so I didn't have this info. On my home PC (Dell XPS400, 4GB RAM, Creative SoundBlaster XFi sound card), startup and shutdown sounds work. I'm running Mint 5 Elyssa there. I had a hard time getting the SB XFi card to work, eventually having to use the new OSS driver instead of ALSA.

The sequence issue seems to be limited to laptops (at least my laptop). The only thing I don't have on my laptop is shutdown sound.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Can anyone help?
Sasafrass452 wrote:Ok, I removed a few more things from pulseaudio, & my startup sound is working properly :) But my shutdown sound still does not :( Any ideas? Also, my email notification sound works again, but it gets cut off at the very end when it plays upon receipt of messages. Is there a way to fix this?
garda

Post by garda »

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I followed this instruction to get sound in Felicia for testing purposes:

OpenSound - Ubuntu Community Documentation

Please note that I've removed Intrepid and Felicia and switched back to Elyssa due to very severe stability and compatibility issues, thus I can not provide more assistance if said guide does not solve your problem.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

I'm using ALSA, not OSS.
garda wrote:I'm not sure if this will help you, but I followed this instruction to get sound in Felicia for testing purposes:

OpenSound - Ubuntu Community Documentation

Please note that I've removed Intrepid and Felicia and switched back to Elyssa due to very severe stability and compatibility issues, thus I can not provide more assistance if said guide does not solve your problem.

Return to “Software & Applications”